ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

structured plaintextfile based note taker

<< < (3/7) > >>

AbteriX:
Sorry, i didn't have read all here, but...
"structured plaintextfile based note taker"  ==> MemPad ==> http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wmem.htm

HTH?

Armando:
aaaahhh. That's it. Nice Abterix!

bikerman:
Hi,

I came across this little freeware application. You can use it to keep all your seperate text files together as it will index and search a whole folder of text files for you. Pretty neat ..... and free  :)

http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/index.html
Malcs

johnk:
I'm resurrecting this thread as it ties in with my own search for a text file "organiser".

Lately, I've come to the conclusion that I'm "over-engineered" when it comes to organising my data. I use OneNote and Ultra Recall. Both good applications.

But in reality...most of the data I want to keep track of is plain text. Probably 95 per cent of it. And good as those two applications are, they are slow compared to working with a good text editor.

So I'm also looking a lean, fast program that helps me work with plain text files in one place. It must have global search.

So far, MemPad (mentioned by AbteriX above) seems to be a reasonable option.  It works well and seems to have the required features. However, MemPad keeps all the data in its own database (which seems to be a plain text file that has been "tweaked" slightly), and I'm not sure about taking that route. I haven't ruled it out, I'm just wondering if separate text files per item is a better way to maintain speed and integrity as your database grows.

AM-Notebook is tempting. I had dismissed it because I had lazily assumed it used the MS richedit control to generate formatted text files (with all the associated bloat). But as the developer says above, it uses a different control, TRichview, which seems to generate sensibly-sized files.

AM-Notebook is now a contender, so I'll give it a thorough trial. Ultimately though, I'd prefer something strictly plain text, to keep things simple, small and, hopefully, speedy.

Any more suggestions on this question? I'm actually surprised there are so few programs in this space.

justice:
Just in case it helps, I'm using http://WikidPad now to keep my notes. It's not plain text, however the additional wiki like features help me to organize and cross link information (and build table of contents for each category) which is a genuine benefit over plain text. I installed a copy at work and home and the wiki database is held on a JungleDisk drive (amazon s3 but could just as well be webdav for example). The wiki can be exported to html / xml and the application is open source, which means my data and application will be available in the future. Minireview on Donationcoder. It's not available on other OSes though which proved to be a pain last week.

However Keynote was really good if you choose to stick with plaintext. I still can't understand how SQLNotes work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version