ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

structured plaintextfile based note taker

<< < (4/7) > >>

johnk:
Just in case it helps, I'm using http://WikidPad now to keep my notes.
-justice (February 11, 2008, 02:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did have a play with WikidPad. And while I would prefer an open source option, I want to be absolutely convinced that a program is solid before I trust it with big chunks of my data. And there are glitches in WikidPad which concern me. For example, when you alter the background colour in the editor, it doesn't work properly. It only adds colour to the lines containing text. Maybe that's not clear. A picture might help:

structured plaintextfile based note taker

And you have to edit config files to change the default font size in the editor, for goodness sake...and this is version 1.8.

I still can't understand how SQLNotes work.
--- End quote ---

Neither can I.  And these days I am a bit unforgiving if I can't work out a program fairly quickly. I also think SQLNotes would just be another case of "over-engineering".

But the more I play with it the more I like the look of AM-Notebook. And just as the discount has expired...

PPLandry:
--- End quote ---

Neither can I.  And these days I am a bit unforgiving if I can't work out a program fairly quickly. I also think SQLNotes would just be another case of "over-engineering".
-johnk (February 11, 2008, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
As the designer of SQLNotes, let me try to simplify as much as possible. It is based on the same principle as Ecco Pro, an award winning PIM. Each notepad can display the content of a folder. The content can be a flat list or an outline of items (think 1-pane outliners). Each item can contain any number of user-defined values (think Excel) plus a text pane (think 2-pane outliners).

Hope this helps!

Armando:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

What is it that you guys don't understand in SQLNotes ?

Pierre explained it well. But let me add that the apparent abstractness and complexity is only due to the fact that it doesn't force a rigid model down your throat : it's very very flexible and the UI is built to accommodate almost any kind of data organization. Not just tasks, contacts, etc.

In fact, it's very similar to some other software you're used too (if you haven' used Ecco in the past). You can structure your own grids (who hasn't used excell, outlook or even access ?? same thing : grids for which you choose which columns displays what, etc.!), your can create your own forms to allow quick data entry (like in outlook or access, but much more easily -- you can see the different forms in the property pane), display the same data in different ways in different grids (now that's not found in outlook!), link items together, show your items in a flat view or hierarchically, attach external documents to items, have HTML files directly linked to items, etc. IMO, pretty straightforward, and not that complicated. Maybe just abstract at first. (And yes there's a lack of documentation and there are some aspects that are still not intuitive AT ALL : like... no undo for item deletion... Not dramatic, but it depends on the case. It can be fairly annoying.)

I believe that if you take a look at the (incomplete) documentation (starting with the introductory page), it shouldn't be that long before you understand what it's all about : http://www.sqlnotes.net/Documentation/tabid/65/Default.aspx.
The basic concepts : items, grids, columns/fields (can be confusing), rows, forms...
The basic UI elements : Menus etc., Property pane, HTML pane, Grid "pane", Find Pane...

IMO SQLNotes is (or will be) the ideal program for those who want to structure data. Ideas for a novel, projects, tasks... anything. there are still some annoying bugs in there (it's still beta), but I haven't lost any data, fortunately. (A search always shows the data that seems lost, and a simple drag and drop puts it back where I want it...)

cedardoc:
Hi, I just skim read this and did a search for the word "Blade" and found no mention of it.  Blade Wiki is a text file based wiki where the files are kept in one folder, and the best part for me is you can have the system on a pocket pc if you want and sync it with the desktop version.

Its here: http://bladewiki.site.io/homepage.htm

The only problem is that when you make notes from within the program that have spaces in the title, the file gets saved with a "%20" in the name instead of a space.  The only problem is if you use other programs (like FARR) to find files it's harder to spot phone numbers for example "Doe,%20John%20555-1234".  so I just use periods instead: "Doe,.John.555.1234"

HTH,
DP

kartal:
John I am using 1.9 beta15. I have no problem with background color. To be honest I have not hit any major bugs in 3 years of my use. I have over 600+ wikiwords in sqllite. It works amazing. Developer was very very active and implemented many things I have asked. 

Btw the config file is part of wikisystem, it is another global wikiword. In a sense you are editing a text file but in the end it is integrated into the tree so you do not really need to folder to edit the config, if I understood your question properly.

Just in case it helps, I'm using http://WikidPad now to keep my notes.
--- End quote ---

I did have a play with WikidPad. And while I would prefer an open source option, I want to be absolutely convinced that a program is solid before I trust it with big chunks of my data. And there are glitches in WikidPad which concern me. For example, when you alter the background colour in the editor, it doesn't work properly. It only adds colour to the lines containing text. Maybe that's not clear. A picture might help:
 (see attachment in previous post)
And you have to edit config files to change the default font size in the editor, for goodness sake...and this is version 1.8.

--- End quote ---

But the more I play with it the more I like the look of AM-Notebook. And just as the discount has expired...
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version