ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Noah is almost fantastic, but what is it?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
I would like to tell you a lot about this new program I've downloaded today, but my English vocabulary is very tiny, especially when it comes to describing such a 'new' kind of program. Noah is a PIM and an email client and a email client's manager and a Internet browser and a bookmark manager and a RSS reader and a organizer and.. - so I don't really know what to call it - I mean, Noah is almost fantastic, but what is it?

Anyway, it would make a lot more sense to you if you would just watch the video tutorial, and download the gratis program yourself. However, I have to point out that it is also a 'new' kind of (harmless) adware! [Edit: The program is American - if you care.]

I am very impressed with this program, and considering it merely is version 1.0 I believe Noah has great potential!

http://www.gen-9.net/index.html

mouser:
Nice find, curt.  Definitely interesting to read.

I think it may be a little ahead of it's time in terms of being a better idea than an implementation, but i think the main idea is important.

We all have related data spread out everywhere.

Although this noah seems to enforce a timeline and topic oriented approach to organizing information, i think the future will look more like a dynamic filtering/tagging system, which will basically let you view all your documents in very different ways.  Want to work will all your email, you'll see an email centric approach organized where when you view an email you can related documents on your disk relating to the user your are emailing.  Switch to timeline view to see a timeline with all the documents you worked on, emails made or received, on that date, etc.  Or use keywords to show all data on your computer (and online) relating to your finances, etc.

allen:
Ahead of its time or behind?

The idea of merging everything isn't new--but no sooner did such suits start to surface, and people started reverse engineering to separate them under the premise that, in general, it's better to have one app that does one thing brilliantly than one app that does everything somewhat.

I'm sure it's fine, but... does it have the e-mail power of The_Bat! or Poco or Becky, does it have the browsing power of Opera or Firefox, et cetera.

Maybe everything will go full circle again. And again.

dspelley:
I thought the idea was an interesting one - I'm always on the lookout for an application that will let me look at various kinds of data and show the relationships among them.

I downloaded and tried Noah, but it couldn't import my Thunderbird inbox so I stopped right there. During installation it displays a listing of Outlook and Thunderbird email folders it finds on your machine, and lets you select which ones it should import. Unfortunately, the Thunderbird Inbox was not among them. I don't think it has provisions for importing from any other email program. I don't recall seeing a way to import a csv or other flat file, but I didn't look at everything.

Curt:
Noah was not ment to replace your email client, but to organize your plans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version