ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (10/13) > >>

jscott:
Tinman, please don't make things up. Read something like:

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/lorraine.html

The "Agnus" chip is named for agnus dei ('lamb of God') by Jay Miner (who designed most of the system himself). Similarly, "Paula" was itself named between "Portia" and Paula, and the Lorraine Project was the name for this variant system which Miner had been working on for some time before Commodore came along.

MerleOne:
There was/is a fix for the slow directory access on a disk full of small files.  I have it installed on mine and it makes all the difference in the world.  I can't even remember the name of the program though.....  I even have it on one of my many Amiga floppy disk....

-Tinman57 (December 08, 2007, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

SFS ?  PFS ?  Or B.A.D., like Blitz-A-Disk, a very efficient floppy defragmenter...

insert_nick:
I got it down from the loft last year, and it still managed to get from being switched on to Workbench fully loaded and ready to go in ~10 seconds. How long do our PCs take to boot these days?
-beermatt (December 08, 2007, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I remember a very nice demo (State of the Art by Spaceballs) which loaded and run from a floppy disk in the very same moment it was inserted into the drive. I mean, you turned the Amiga on, inserted the disk in drive, and after some milliseconds you were staring at a ultrasmooth vector gfx & sound animations dancing on the monitor while still loading stuff... (with Flash you can do something similar now, but still not as smooth, and not without plenty of MHz, RAM, and a full OS loaded!!!)
Which consumer non-Amiga machines allow to do that today, if I want this kind of feature and I have whatever budget? (I'm serious, let me know :)
Turn on -> (no wait) -> custom software running

Tinman57:
jscott, re-read my post, then bite me........

jscott:
Re-read it. Still wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version