ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (9/13) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi All,

I also have been a die-hard Amiga Fan.  I still have an A1200 with an external HDD and a ton of floppies, alas all has been flooded in my basement some years ago and I am pretty sure everything is ruined.  Anyway, I found a very supporting company, Cloanto, which has apparently has bought the Amiga rights (Kickstart and OS).  They have issued over the time a set of CD/DVD, very well done, which incorporate recent versions of emulators and even video from within the company, including the "death bed vigil", that is the party marking the end of the company.  Also interviews by the late Jay Miner.  I strongly recommend it.  More details at :

http://www.amigaforever.com/

Darwin:
You guys make me feel like I really missed out. I have always felt the same about NextStep computers. I actually had a chance to play with one while I was doing my masters degree - my supervisor actually built his own NextStep machine to replace his original one. I used to sit and drool over the things he could do with it... Then I'd wander back to my notebook running Windows for Workgroups 3.11...

Anyway, I understand what App was talking about earlier - I regret not having used one "in the day". I don't really recall Amiga being a "player" after about 1991/2 - certainly, I don't recall ever having seen one for sale in a shop anywhere in the sleepy little hamlet that I lived in (and still live in!).

The silver lining is that I never had to go through "falling in love" with the system and watching it effectively disappear.

Tinman57:
  The Agnes, Denise, Paula, Gary?, and 3 others, 7 co-processors in all (and I think 8 in the 1200 and up.  They were all named after the person that designed that chip.  Agnes therefore obviously designed the Agnes chip.
  Also, on the Amiga 500 (and perhaps others) motherboard was a paw print which represented one of the engineers dogs that was in the office with them all the time.  lol.
  The Amiga OS had all kinds of easter eggs hidden in the system, one of them poking fun at the Apple.  Somewhere around here I have a CD with all kinds of Amiga faqs and the history of the Amiga.....

There was/is a fix for the slow directory access on a disk full of small files.  I have it installed on mine and it makes all the difference in the world.  I can't even remember the name of the program though.....  I even have it on one of my many Amiga floppy disk....
  I was planning on getting a Weasel PCI card and plugging it into my pc so I could read my Amiga floppy's, but I packed my puter with all kinds of goodies and don't have room for it now.

Lashiec:
Not really

Also, it seems they used female names for familiarity and to avoid industrial espionage (Atari ST?)

Tinman57:
  Please, don't go by what Wikipedia says.  I can add my own definition in there saying crapola is a delicious dessert.  The AmigaForever website may have the faqs, I haven't visited it in a while.

I can't remember exactly how many co-processors there were, but I think I remember the ECS chipset was supposed to have added another chip, possibly the Gary?  It's just all been soooooo long ago for me to remember it all.  I used to be able to spout off just about anything you wanted to know about them......  Getting old.......   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version