ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (8/13) > >>

Tinman57:
  I still have a highly customized Amiga 500 and a ton of software in a closet (over 500 games).  It hasn't been fired up in years.  Heck, I even have a digidroid and a digitizing platform for it, external hard drive/4mb ram, fat agnes, doubled speed, dual boot switch (1.3 or 2.1), and a bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember now.  I even have Cloanto Amiga Forever, the software (CD) that runs AmigaDOS on a PC.  It comes with AmigaROM's from 2.1 all the way down to 1.0.    :D
  I do miss the old AmigaDOS, it was a fine operating system for the times.  Hard to believe MicroSoft wrote it.  Really hard to believe that they sold the rights to it.  No telling what it could have been if a certain president of C= hadn't of sabotaged the company for $$$.  Ever wonder what Congress came up with on the investigation of Commodore's bankruptcy?

I have seen ads for the New Amiga's, basically a PC with some kind of Amiga board in a PCI slot, or something like that.

I was also the co-sysop of the 2nd largest Amiga BBS system in the U.S. way back when.  Ah, the memories.......

Mark0:
I do miss the old AmigaDOS, it was a fine operating system for the times.  Hard to believe MicroSoft wrote it.-Tinman57 (December 07, 2007, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, and in facts they didn't! :)
If I remember correctly, Just the Amiga BASIC was from Microsoft (and it shows, I have to add!).

Bye!

marta:
I still have an Amiga 3,000 with the Invision "LIVE!" board
Because the LIVE! board has never been adapted by PC, or MAC (as far as we know) my partner still occasionally uses it for live music performances.
If anyone know show to adapt the board to a PC, I'd love to hear about it.

beermatt:
Thanks for this thread - happy memories! HAM mode to get all the colours onscreen at once etc. :D

I started with an A500, then later bought an A1200 with an 80MB(!) Hard disk. I then upgraded it with a 4MB Blizzard (I think) expansion that also had a faster CPU..  :)

I got it down from the loft last year, and it still managed to get from being switched on to Workbench fully loaded and ready to go in ~10 seconds. How long do our PCs take to boot these days?

I also found some info on networking Amigas - and with a standard laptop PCMCIA card managed to get it hooked up onto my LAN, and then transfer the contents of the hard disk onto my PC (so that I can now have "my" amiga working in WinUAE)  8)

All good fun..  :Thmbsup:

insert_nick:
My Amiga 500 is still in front on me, while I use my PC. I hardly will put it away.
What about the way the creators named the main chips inside? Weren't they among the most creative tech minds in the world at that time? :)
I remember there was a legend about a "hello mom" message by one of the engeeners in some unused blocks of the ROM, do you know if it was true and details?

The only bad thing in Amiga imho was the fact that a lot of time was needed to retrieve the disk directory when it was full of little files.
Every other memory about that little cheap computer is something like... "SO GOOD!"
Besides, when I bought it all my nice C64 joysticks where compatible, nice save...
And, that was my first approach with that useful thing called mouse bundled in the box, and with an OS that had a built in voice synthesis software, and a very well written and fun cmyk user manual, and... ok ok, back to work, sigh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version