ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (4/13) > >>

cranioscopical:
Looking back, one of the most useful things about Amigas was the AREXX port in each programme. It allowed me to tie many programmes together in my office... GoldED was the text editor, PageStream was the DTP, ProVector for drawings...
-Perry Mowbray (December 03, 2007, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too true, that and Bill Hawes' WShell !
When Commodore finally woke up and made ARexx part of the Amiga bundle they did many Amiga users a big favour.
The ability to cherry pick applications and create a custom suite of software that was also tied into the shell was great.
I see the 'new' Amiga OS has just been released... finally.

Perry Mowbray:
When Commodore finally woke up and made ARexx part of the Amiga bundle they did many Amiga users a big favour.
The ability to cherry pick applications and create a custom suite of software that was also tied into the shell was great.-cranioscopical (December 03, 2007, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's probably what I miss most about my windows experience too.

I've just remembered SBase too... how could I forget??

I see the 'new' Amiga OS has just been released... finally.-cranioscopical (December 03, 2007, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've read some user's posts about it, sounds somewhat temping, but maybe not quite enough.

zridling:
Holy crap, cranioscopical, I had a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and nothing's come close since. Damn thing weighed about 20 lbs. I think, made of steel. Even Superman would rip a hernia trying to bend that sucker!

If you had a Northgate on your Amiga, dude, you were living the life.

Darwin:
The ability to cherry pick applications and create a custom suite of software that was also tied into the shell was great.-cranioscopical (December 03, 2007, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's probably what I miss most about my windows experience too.

I've just remembered SBase too... how could I forget??

I see the 'new' Amiga OS has just been released... finally.-cranioscopical (December 03, 2007, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've read some user's posts about it, sounds somewhat temping, but maybe not quite enough.
-Perry Mowbray (December 04, 2007, 05:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

AFAICT the new OS (AmigaOS4) is available as a free upgrade to anyone who has an Amiga computer. Other than that, I can't find any other information about it and assume that it will not run on IBM clone hardware. A powerpc perhaps, though...? I'm also unable to find a download link for it anywhere.

At any rate, Perry, if you've still got an Amiga machine kicking around it seems you've got nothing to lose!

EDIT: fixed borked quotes...  :o

leland:
I just noticed this post.  Well, here is another Amiga users.  My third computer was a A500, which I made many expansions to like the 2MB of chip ram, hard drive, etc...  Then later I bought an A2000 used and expanded that like crazy too.  Those were some fun days.  Even now there are many things I find myself missing from the Amiga that the PC still does not have.  Yes, ARexx was great, the VB for Applications doesn't come close to matching it's power.  I did however get one of my favorite Amiga app for the PC when Directory Opus was released for Windows.  That made my PC a much more usable computer.  Oh, those were the days...

Leland
:D

PS I still keep an eye on the Amiga from time to time, but the new stuff just doesn't seem the same to me anymore...  Is it just me?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version