ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (5/13) > >>

cranioscopical:
AFAICT the new OS (AmigaOS4) is available as a free upgrade to anyone who has an Amiga computer. Other than that, I can't find any other information about it and assume that it will not run on IBM clone hardware. A powerpc perhaps, though...? I'm also unable to find a download link for it anywhere.

At any rate, Perry, if you've still got an Amiga machine kicking around it seems you've got nothing to lose!
-Darwin (December 04, 2007, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you need one of the later "T" models. 

I have NO doubt that Windows, now, is fantastically much better than was the Amiga OS on the 3000 (my last Amiga).  What fills me with dismay is the thought of where home computing might have been today had Commodore handled things differently.

I moved from the Amiga to OS/2 as a (poor) second best... same story *sigh*.

cranioscopical:
Holy crap, cranioscopical, I had a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and nothing's come close since. -zridling (December 04, 2007, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's true. The keyboards to which Ralf helpfully refers aren't a bad second choice but none of them quite does it for me.

Northgate made the Omnikey dip-switchable between Amiga and PC and sold a keycap-and-puller set to change the few keys that were in different places.  I still have the Amiga keys somewhere -- heaven only knows why!  Anyway, both of my Omnikeys are just fine and each has had a lot of use.  All of the letters are as clear on the keys, now, as on the day they were manufactured.

If you had a Northgate on your Amiga, dude, you were living the life.
--- End quote ---

I was having fun, that's for sure  :Thmbsup:

Lashiec:
More Amiga goodness for you, guys

Darwin:
Interesting find, Lashiec, and answers my questions about where AmigaOS4 is and what it will run under. Good read, but a sort of tragicomedic story!

cranioscopical:
More Amiga goodness for you, guys
-Lashiec (December 05, 2007, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the pointer, Lashiec. Seems I was wrong about the 'T' series being required.  Too bad I junked my 3000s during my last (and I hope final) house move.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version