ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gamespot Editor Fired for Writing an Honest Review

<< < (2/5) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Keep in mind that CNet may not be legally able to discuss the matter of Gerstmann's dismissal. I have no reason to believe that it may be the case, but maybe he's a boozehound, or has had problems with sexual harassment accusations, or something. Who knows?

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter why a publication writes reviews the way that it does. All that matters is how consonant they are with your own opinions. If their reviews tend to be similar to your own experiences, then it's a good bet to try other products that they review well, and the converse.

Does it really matter whether the reason for a review is the writer's heartfelt opinion or because the marketing department is able to line up advertisers who really tend to have good products? Or maybe they've got a llittle genie that lives in a box and tells them what to write. Who cares? If the reviews work for you, then use them. And on the other hand, even if the reviews are heartfelt, if the reviewers' personal tastes clash with yours, those reviews will be useless.

So ignore the rumors and innuendo. Find a reviewer whose work you agree with, and stick with it. Period.

Dirhael:
Well, I did the only thing I really can do to say what I think of CNet's behavior in this case; Cancelled my paid membership.

I have no intensions of supporting a company that acts this way. It doesn't matter if you agree with his reviews or not, it is unacceptable to let advertisers dictate how or what you should write. In this case, sticking to his guns cost him his job, but at least he can walk away with his head raised. Kicking out one of the persons largely responsible for building up Gamespot, in this way, will most likely cost them a whole lot more that what they would have lost by Eidos dropping their advertising agreement, as integrity and trust is one of the most valuable assets you have in this industry.

Ralf Maximus:
I am surprised that anyone is surprised at this.

p3lb0x:
A person lots people agree with can be found http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation here

edit: hes honest too!

Renegade:
@CWuestefeld

I'm not so sure that really works all that well. I should be able to have a certain degree of good faith that a publisher and its editors are being honest and genuine.

The problem that I see is that given limited resources, it's not really possible to "seek out" reviewers that you agree with. People should be able to take a reviewer's word pro hominen because it is just too time consuming otherwise.

In short, I see it as an issue of *trust*. I should be able to trust that a publication and its editors are trustworthy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version