ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gamespot Editor Fired for Writing an Honest Review

(1/5) > >>

app103:
We've heard an unsettling rumor today from an anonymous tipster that longtime game reviewer Jeff Gerstmann from Gamespot has been let go. That wouldn't necessarily be newsworthy, but the conditions under which he was allegedly dismissed were. According to the source, Gerstmann was fired "on the spot" due to advertiser pressure for his review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. A visit to Gamespot shows that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game has taken over the site very prominently, with backgrounds and multiple banner ads all pitching Kane & Lynch. Allegedly, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."
--- End quote ---

Gamespot Editor Fired Over Kane & Lynch Review?

Alleged Gamespot Employee Spills Guts On Valleywag

CNet Comments On Gamespot Controversy

The Review

f0dder:
fscktards.

What is this, soviet russia?!

tinjaw:
The sad sad thing is that even if every one of the remaining writers at GameSpot all got up and walked away nothing at site would change. They would just get shitty writers to take over and the site would continue to sell ads and write reviews giving scores based on the amount of money spent. And the public would go along with it all and keep reading..

I think the best thing that could happen is that they do quit en mass and make a big stink about it. I am sure other gaming sites will snatch them up quick and give them good jobs, but relocating and all that stuff that goes with it would suck.

I don't think I have read a review in years for the purpose of determining if a game is worth while. I don't think much of game reviews overall (even though I used to do some for The Wargamer). I'd much rather play a demo or play it on a friends computer that already owns the game, with part of the reason I'm interested is that if a friend has it, it is more likely I will like the game to begin with.

Renegade:
Very poor taste. There are better ways to handle the situation. Getting a reviewer fired is, well... It speaks for itself.

And no... It's not Soviet Russia... It's Soviet Gamewhore Industry. ;)

s2h:
Just what I need to hear, biased reviews because of advertising.  Horrible journalism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version