ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Signs You're a Crappy Programmer (and don't know it)

<< < (2/3) > >>

jgpaiva:
I'm now wondering who would be correct. My professors which keep evangelizing a few of the bullets on that list, or that guy.
I am in disagreement with both the "You model all your code in UML before you write it." and the "OMG! PATTERNS!" lines.
I mean, i don't think modelling ALL the code in UML is important (i hate UML!) but it definitelly is useful, and my professors keep evangelizing it.
As for patterns... I'm not sure what he means. Does he mean that patterns are a bad thing?

f0dder:
Having to UML everything is silly... having to document your projects makes sense for anything that isn't tiny, though.

I believe his pattern-line refers to the people that want to solve everything with patterns, try to apply them everywhere, etc...

Lashiec:
UML is useful for big projects, but if they pretend that you have to model every little app you write, it would be a good idea for them to look again what UML is for. Besides, it's weird that all your teachers evangelize it, not even my software engineering teacher did it, despite being the UML resident expert here.

Another completely different thing is planning before you start to type code, that's a good practice.

Oh well, I suppose they want you to be sure what's the task of a computer engineer and all that, ya know the usual competition between engineers and coders ;D

Ralf Maximus:
It's time for Agile UML: Write the use cases while you code!

Deozaan:
I'm now wondering who would be correct. My professors which keep evangelizing a few of the bullets on that list, or that guy.
I am in disagreement with both the "You model all your code in UML before you write it." and the "OMG! PATTERNS!" lines.
I mean, i don't think modelling ALL the code in UML is important (i hate UML!) but it definitelly is useful, and my professors keep evangelizing it.
As for patterns... I'm not sure what he means. Does he mean that patterns are a bad thing?
-jgpaiva (December 04, 2007, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

The comments say clearly that UML is useful, but trying to map ALL your code in UML is overkill.

As for patterns, it isn't clear to me if you understood this, but he's talking about Design Patterns, and as f0dder said, trying to apply them to EVERY problem. Design patterns, like UML, are quite useful when used appropriately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version