ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (10/28) > >>

superboyac:
RoboForm is my choice as well, by far.  But like everyone said, you have to be clear of the application.  ROboForm's primary strength is how easy it is to fill forms AND password/logins on webpages.  If you're simply looking for a program to store passwords, that's entirely different and there are probably several free programs available for that.  But for automatically filling passwords on webpages, it would be hard to beat RoboForm.  I love it.
Yes, it has a weird online activation routine, but I didn't have a problem with it.

Lashiec:
Another vote for KeePass. Until now I had been using the ultimate password manager, ya know, that little grey thing in the skull, but unfortunately being a multitask app which does everything but not everything right, it's been increasingly harder for me to keep up with them, I even forgot the other day my password for the Debian server in the college, how embarrassing. Fortunately, the teacher deleted the old account and I could get in again.

So time for going with a password manager. I didn't have to try all the other ones, as I have previous experiences with KeePass, and I really liked what I saw there. I tried RoboForm in the past as well, but (don't shoot me) I couldn't figure out how to use it, and the app seemed awkward to me (I hope the Shamurai is not reading this... :P). So KeePass does what I want, storing passwords in a strong protected database, and doing all the autofilling I need (user+password). It even works with Opera, so I couldn't be happier. Besides, it's free.

One thing I didn't see mentioned about KeePass is the incredible quality not only of the product, but also the entire ecosystem around it, I mean, things like the website and the plugins. Everything is well designed, attractive and informative, this is nothing that frequent in OSS. The icon theme BTW is lovable :-*, very KDE-like. This is just a perfect example of what good open source software can be.

Perhaps the unique problem is that it does not detect forms as it should sometimes, oh well, at least it's better than previous scheme :)

PD: And that it does not let you add various URLs and/or title(s) per entry, unfortunately some of the sites I go to have various login points in there, I suppose I could find a generic window name in all of them, it could not be that difficult.

Armando:
Am I the only person in the world using Password Agent?
-katykaty (December 17, 2007, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
How does it compare with keepass and roboform, or even formautofiller ?

mnemonic:
PD: And that it does not let you add various URLs and/or title(s) per entry, unfortunately some of the sites I go to have various login points in there, I suppose I could find a generic window name in all of them, it could not be that difficult.
-Lashiec (December 17, 2007, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can have as many "Auto-Type-Window:" clauses as you want in each entry.  This is useful for things like Google, where the same username/password is used for mail, calendar etc.  Although, yes, you can only have one URL per entry.

rjbull:
I've installed one of free alternatives (formautofiller.com).
-Brows (December 16, 2007, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

IE only?  Not even Firefox as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version