ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (6/28) > >>

perlguy:
PasswordSafe - started by Bruce Schneier, noted security expert (http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html).  Now open source http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/, and there are compatible apps available for java and linux platforms.

I wouldn't trust my passwords to any other program.

The only thing it doesn't do itself is to launch a url AND autotype, together... so I wrote an AHK  macro to do that for me.  CTRL-L, popup a simple dialog to continue once the page is loaded, then switch back to pwsafe to CTRL-T.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, the autotype on Windows works with just about any app, not just IE or Firefox... I use it for all my passwords, not just websites.  You can customize the autotype sequence as well, so for sites that have more than just username/password, you can adapt.

justice:
@ keepass Yeah I used keepass for what must be years now but it takes too many clicks to fill out a login form don't you think? It's just too much hassle to store new passwords in it due to lack of integration. And now that the new version is cross platform i don't see that change?

Passwordsafe looks promising then!

CleverCat:
KeePass does it for me... 8)

wiiiindy:
My personal choice is eWallet by Iliumsoft.  It has flaws but keeps all passwords in a hierarchial format (if desired), it pastes the ID and password into web pages (if the page is launched from eWallet), and the biggest reason I use it - it syncs with my Palm T|X.  It also has formats for many other kinds of personal information that you might want to keep with you on the PDA but should be encrypted - bank account numbers and pins, family SSNs, etc.  If it would allow drap and drop onto web pages it would be near perfect for me (see KeyWallet below).

I also use KeyWallet.  It allows you to drag and drop the ID and Password both at the same time into web pages.  For that reason it is often handier than eWallet so I keep the most commonly used ID/passwords in both with hot keys to get them open quickly.  If I keep the number of passwords in KeyWallet small, they all fit on the screen without scrolling making for a really quick open, drag, drop for logging into web sites.

I tried RoboForm a while back and don't remember what I didn't like about it except that it was more a form filler than a password manager (as stated earlier in this thread).  It also doesn't sync with Palm.  That is a major requirement for me.

I am not really interested in trying others unless someone knows a good one that is also a form-filler AND syncs with Palm OS.   Then I would jump in a minute -- maybe even pay for it!

Josh:
Roboform does sync with palm, they have a separate license for it. Also, the name of the program is RoboForm, and as such, form filling is its primary strength.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version