ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??

<< < (19/19)

Curt:
Windows XP SP3 RC 2 download on Windows Update

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 10:14 AM CST

windows xp sp3 I had been wondering whether Windows XP SP3 got lost somewhere in the Microsoft abyss, but it looks like it is alive and kicking after all. Microsoft slowly but surely rolled out Release Candidate 2 yesterday, which is available for download via Windows Update.

Like always you’ll need to uninstall any other pre-release version before trying to update to the second Release Candidate. Once you’re all set just download and run this small file (it modifies your registry) so that Windows Update will offer you the new pre-release copy of XP SP3.

The release notes don’t outline anything to die for, but I do find it interesting that Microsoft will now let users complete the setup of XP without having to provide a product key. Vista already has a similar feature, and apparently it’s gone over well enough that they’ve decided to bring it back to Windows XP. Although no one will really notice this feature unless they slipstream SP3 into their XP installation CD.

There’s still no word on when XP SP3 will be released, but I don’t think it will be before mid-March. That’s when Vista SP1 is supposed to be available to the public, and Microsoft will likely want to keep all of the focus on Vista.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

Copyright © 2008 CyberNet |
--- End quote ---

oldfart:
Greetings,
I just got an email from a friend who just upgraded to SP3 and afterward Windows refused to install any other updates.  Here's what he says:  Once you install SP3 it IGNORES all updates needed to be installed! THEN if you uninstall SP3 and go back to SP2 the updates will re-appear. Only problem is they will not install!!

He says he checked the forums and found many having this problem.  He tried to remove the SP3 upgrade but it also removed IE7 and all his drivers and would not reinstall them.  Fortunately its just a test machine so he will format and reload XP. 

nosh:
Anyone know if SP3 carries IE7 as:
1. An optional component
2. An IE6 upgrade/replacement or
3. A mandatory install side-by-side with IE6?

Curt:
Anyone know if SP3 carries IE7-nosh (February 23, 2008, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Read: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2659348&SiteID=17

nosh:
Windows Intervet Explorer 7 has not been integrated, but the updated for it have been integrated!
--- End quote ---

Excellent! Thanks, Curt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version