ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GoodSync free from RoboForm today (not)

(1/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Earlier today  I updated my copy of RoboForm. As usual when the installer finished it opened a webpage. On that web page was the following message:

Exclusively for RoboForm Users - Limited Time Only

If You Like RoboForm... You'll LOVE GoodSync!

Get GoodSync FREE Today!
Fast and Easy File Synchronization & Backup Solution!

--- End quote ---

I thought OOOO - I always wanted to give that a try so I downloaded it and installed it. I tried to activate the product (since the Help > About page said it was a trial version) but it would not activate (the only code I had was for RoboForm so I assumed that would be the one as it was a special offer for RoboForm users - right). No joy so I just contacted their customer support. Here is there response:

GoodSync Free is really free, but after 30-days of use it has some
 limitations. You can use it for free after 30-days as well. But if you want
 to get rid of limitations, please purchase the license and activate
 it.

Please see the differences between Free and Pro here:
 http://www.goodsync.com/freevpro.html
--- End quote ---

Major rant with bad languageSo in other words the special free offer for loyal RoboForm Pro users is that they can download the same trail version that everyone else gets and it will go to reduced functionality in 30 days (AKA as fucked mode).

I HATE this kind of crap, shoddy, immoral, lying, deceitful, arsehole .... (get my drift) ... marketing - and any company that resorts to such stupid tactics should be burned !

I used to respect RoboForm - and I will continue to use it because it is the best product - but they will never get another penny from me and I will never recommend their products again.

mouser:
That is definitely messed up.  Bad show  :down:

Darwin:
Thanks for letting us know about this,  Carol  :Thmbsup: I've seen that splash screen two or three times during recent updates - I hadn't bothered downloading the "freebie" because I have so many other sync solutions. Had I done so, I would have been P.O.'d  as well!  :down:

This is an increasingly prevalent marketing technique (I think it's more accurate to call it a scam) and is certainly not unique to Roboform. I think that Roboform's marketing department would do well to stop it at once because it is false advertising and P-I-S-S-E-S their existing user base off.

Darwin:
PS wonder if this is a good candidate for removal to the Company Complaints board?

KenR:
Hey Carol and others,

I see this as a growing trend. It seems like every day, certainly every week, I see things presented with "free" something that turns out to be not free at all. Clearly the intent of these ads is to deceive the users. Hence, I see it as a pretty negative trend for the internet. The worst part of all of this is that more and more the good, big, respected companies are doing it as well as the scammers. I wonder what this says about the former!

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version