ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seriously, wtf is going on with Apple's Mac vs. Pc ads?

<< < (12/15) > >>

JennyB:

Crazy. I'm telling you, if Steven Jobs got his head out of his own rearend and released Tiger into the wild to run on non-Apple machines, Apple would exponentially increase its market share in weeks. I'd buy it just to try it out - for the price, why wouldn't I?

-Darwin (November 28, 2007, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not going to happen because op the range of hardware they'd have to support, but how about a Hackintosh?

If the high price tag for Apple hardware has kept you from buying a Mac but you're willing to roll up your sleeves and get adventurous, you can build your own "Hackintosh"—a PC that runs a patched version of OS X Leopard. What?!, you say. Apple's move to Intel processors in 2006 meant that running OS X on non-Apple hardware is possible, and a community hacking project called OSx86 launched with that goal in mind. Since then, OSx86 has covered major ground, making it possible for civilians—like you and me!—to put together their own Hackintosh running Mac OS 10.5. Today, I'll show you how to build your own high end computer running Leopard from start to finish for under $800.
--- End quote ---

Lashiec:
Hackintosh is an interesting thing, and makes me raise a question I've been pondering since Apple moved to Intel. Why everyone wanted to run Windows in a Mac, and no one was interested in running Mac OS X in a PC? Weird, I told to myself when everyone was jumping with joy: "Oh, now we can run Windows in a Mac!". Perhaps this is the final proof that the greatest strength of a Windows PC is the software available for it?

Of course, it'd be nice if Apple made Mac OS X officially available for any kind of FrankenPC ;D, like say, we provide a cleaner and less hackyish way to run our OS in your PC, but WITHOUT any kind of support. I know it's not going to happen, but hell, why do you have to pay so many money to have hardware already available for much less, only to be officially able to run another OS?

Darwin:
Here's an interesting piece on Leopard from a columnist at PCMag, who warns:

Before Apple makes any more smug OS-related attacks on Microsoft, it ought to take a good look in the mirror.
--- End quote ---

Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

Darwin:
PS This line had me laughing out loud (yes, I'm juvenile):

But Apple marketing has the swinging pair of crabapples to actually print "Leopard Just Works" on its Web site.
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
As did this:

For Leopard, the sad bundled app-as-feature is Time Machine. To hear Mac moonies tell it, this is the best thing to happen to backup since the letter b. In reality, however, it sucketh and it sucketh huge.

Okay, the screen looks like Star Wars. That's cool in an I-want-to-stay-a-virgin kind of way. But "easy to use"? Which groupie said that? Try putting a new Apple user in front of this app and see what happens. For one, you can't set up Time Machine from within Time Machine. How is that easy? You'll find some of the settings buried in System Settings and others in Time Machine. And if you want to kick off a manual backup, you've got to know to right-click on the Time Machine icon in the dock. Is Britney Spears moonlighting as Apple's UI designer?

--- End quote ---

Note: careful observers will have now clued in to the fact that I am just now actually reading the article  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version