ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seriously, wtf is going on with Apple's Mac vs. Pc ads?

<< < (14/15) > >>

tomos:
I thought I'd post here and leave the serious mac vs. windows debate to the other thread
I was looking for icons for a couple of filetypes and came across this beauty

I really like it, unfortunately I dont use large icons now but I'm saving it up (it's a bit lost at small size)

Ironically it was in with a bunch of very slick looking 'Macintosh icons' ('Generic PC' it's called). I think the 'PC' one is the only one with character though...

Hey, maybe it's really cool - to be uncool ;)

Carol Haynes:
It's interesting there is a blue screen - my memory of working with the early Macs in the 80s was of a blank screen with a picture of a bomb in the middle. At least BSODs give you some info as to what has gone wrong - Mac never did (apart from a cryptic undocumented long number).

f0dder:
It's interesting there is a blue screen - my memory of working with the early Macs in the 80s was of a blank screen with a picture of a bomb in the middle. At least BSODs give you some info as to what has gone wrong - Mac never did (apart from a cryptic undocumented long number).
-Carol Haynes (November 01, 2009, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
And pre-OSX, macs were godawful unstable. One crashing app? *b00m*, crashed OS. Even Win9x felt more resilient - I can't remember getting a BSOD from browsing the web, apart from maliciously crafted websites... with the macs at the local library, it was quite a different story.

Did pre-OSX even have preemptive multitasking? I seem to recall that a busy app could more or less lock up the entire system, but it's been quite some years...

40hz:
And pre-OSX, macs were godawful unstable.
-f0dder (November 01, 2009, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

System 6.0.4 wasn't too bad. But everything from 8.0.1 forward got a little dicey. Especially once they started releasing those Centris and Quadra model Macs.

I remember this definition from back then:

Multifinder (noun) - the part of the Macintosh operating system that allows a user to crash in more than one application at the same time.

tomos:
It's interesting there is a blue screen [...]
-Carol Haynes (November 01, 2009, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
it's the cliché isnt it - well, the mac propaganda cliché I mean.

It was the only one of the icons though with character, and is very lovingly drawn - all the other icons (all mac) look pretty much like something from a mac catalogue. Maybe the illustrator has a subconscious or deeply supressed love of 'pc's :) disguised by a blue screen :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version