ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what does uninstall really mean?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
XP?

1. Right-click My Computer / Properties
2. Hardware tab / Device Manager Button
3. Find your thingie
4. Right-click / Properties
5. Driver Tab / Update Driver
6. "Install from specific location"
7. "Search for the driver in these locations"
8. Turn OFF removable media
9. Turn ON "Include this location in the search".
10. Enter (or browse for) the path to where your edited drivers are located.
11. Click Next
12. ...
13. Profit!

nite_monkey:
oh, ok, I've done that a couple of times, it says the one currently installed is newer then the one I want to put on it.

Ralf Maximus:
It probably is.

You should be able to override that and install the one you want.  Can't you?

nite_monkey:
nope, I'm stuck with the drivers that are already installed on it. I can't use the edited ones

Carol Haynes:
You need to change the sequence above to items 7-10, instead choose the "Don't search I will choose the driver to install" option. You can then manually specify the drivers you need.

If this doesn't work do the sequence again but click "Uninstall" rather than update drivers.

I would guess if uninstall doesn't actually remove the drivers then they are supplied by MS as part of Windows - in which case unless you can find a version that is dated newer than the ones MS supply you are stuffed because Windows keeps copies of its own drivers so that if they get deleted they automatically copy a new copy and reinstall. If the new drivers have an INF file can you not edit the file and change the date to a a more recent value (don't know if this will fool windows but it might be worth a try)?

Also the Driver Details button will show you the file names associated with the driver - you could try doing a global search across your hard disks (make sure you allow System and Hidden files to be shown in Control Panel > Folder Options first). After uninstalling make a note of where these files are and move them somewhere out of the way (say a folder on your desktop). That should stop Windows reinstalling them automatically! If you have a problem you can always put them back where you found them!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version