ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for Beta Testers for Satanic Music Detector :)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
LOL - hilarious - love the website too ...

Ralf Maximus:
About 1:34 into the Perry Como reading of "The Night Before Christmas", he clearly asks: "Who will fear the chocolate?"

But before I could investigate further, it crashed with an "Unhandled exception error". :-(

Pretty cool idea & execution.  A coupla small buglets:

1. The blue open/play/pause buttons appear to take two clicks on my system to respond.  The 1st click seems to set focus; the 2nd triggers the event.

2. During extended use, the waveform graphy thing would sometimes turn into a big white box (placeholder?) with a red "x" in it.  Shutting down the app and restarting fixes it (for awhile).

Some suggestions:

1. Display the file name somewhere on-screen, since I frequently forget which file I'm testing.  If it's an mp3, maybe (some of) the tag information too.

2. Drag-n-drop files into the app.

3. Add a "Notes" box down below for quick annotation of findings while a file is scanned for Satantic influence.  It would be a bonus if, when clicking in the proposed Notes field it automatically inserted the time index (where the playback cursor is).  A REALLY nice-to-have once the Notes box is functional would be to allow the user to click a note and have the playback jump to that time index for further review.

Overall it's sinfully sexy to play with.  I feel almost dirty doing the Lord's work using tools like this!

Carol Haynes:
James Blunt "You're Beautiful" sounds a bit like "I'm a fruity boy" ... so some things are logical in reverse land ;)

Darwin:
James Blunt "You're Beautiful" sounds a bit like "I'm a fruity boy" ... so some things are logical in reverse land ;)
-Carol Haynes (November 23, 2007, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in too - this beats manually (Children! Wipe those smirks off your faces!) cranking (Stop laughing! Breathe!) my old turntable backwards and trying to find backwards messages that way.

Right, off to rip Revolution #9 and find out once and for all if John is saying "Paul is dead. Miss him, miss him, miss him". It really doesn't get any better than this on a Friday night  :)

Renegade:

But before I could investigate further, it crashed with an "Unhandled exception error". :-(
-Ralf Maximus (November 23, 2007, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yuck... Could you send me the error message or a screenshot? Was it just playing and then died? Was it near the beginning or end of the song?

You can email it to "Jesus" at the domain name. :)

I'm not sure why that would happen.

Pretty cool idea & execution.  A coupla small buglets:

1. The blue open/play/pause buttons appear to take two clicks on my system to respond.  The 1st click seems to set focus; the 2nd triggers the event.
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I'll check on that again...

2. During extended use, the waveform graphy thing would sometimes turn into a big white box (placeholder?) with a red "x" in it.  Shutting down the app and restarting fixes it (for awhile).
--- End quote ---

Strange... I think this might be related to garbage collection... I've seen this kind of thing in while I was creating the Anti-Christ Hunter, but not with the Satanic Music Detector, so I've got an idea of what may be happening.

Can you tell me how long you were using it? Has it happened more than once?

Some suggestions:

1. Display the file name somewhere on-screen, since I frequently forget which file I'm testing.  If it's an mp3, maybe (some of) the tag information too.
--- End quote ---

Right now it only shows up in the status bar in the lower left. A more complete info area might be a good idea.

2. Drag-n-drop files into the app.
--- End quote ---

This and keyboard shortcuts is on the TODO list. I've skipped doing it for now to get the other basics done.

3. Add a "Notes" box down below for quick annotation of findings while a file is scanned for Satantic influence.  It would be a bonus if, when clicking in the proposed Notes field it automatically inserted the time index (where the playback cursor is).  A REALLY nice-to-have once the Notes box is functional would be to allow the user to click a note and have the playback jump to that time index for further review.
--- End quote ---

I'll need to rethink the current UI to get this in there nicely. It wouldn't be that hard to do though. Perhaps using the "Start" and "End" markers would work there and then save the audio output as well?

Overall it's sinfully sexy to play with.  I feel almost dirty doing the Lord's work using tools like this!
--- End quote ---

:D

Well, looks like I've got a bit of work to do before this is really ready. Unfortuneately that takes time, which I'm painfully short of. I'll try to get the things above fixed in the meantime, but if you could give me any of that additional information, I'd appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version