ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How often do you reboot your primary workstation?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Lashiec:
No, it doesn't. From time to time, the neverending discussion between plug or unplug arises. Even reputable PSU makers got in the fray, like the CTO of PC Power & Cooling, stating:

Our position is let it run. That's for voltage and temperature stabilization. Anytime you can keep the computer components at a stable temperature, it's better than expansion and contraction. That's what wears them out.

--- End quote ---

Of course, letting things work means that they'll work better each passing year, and their lifetime will improve to ad infinitum. That's why Google never buys new components for their servers. </sarcasm>

Seriously, I plugged and unplugged my old computer for more than 7 years, and still works like a charm, and it was not using a fancy PSU, more the opposite. It's your own choice, the quality of modern components is high enough for them to be replaced before they actually fail.

EDIT: Some rephrasing

Arizona Hot:
I rebooted Windows XP yesterday because the computer couldn't see that a disk was in the drive while burning files to a backup disk. I reload Windows Explorer more often because it keeps adding extra "Shared Documents" and "My Sharing Folders" to the folders structure.

brotherS:
"Only as needed" is defined as once every 2-3 weeks when things start going wrong and I can't do what I want, such as getting Paintshop Pro to open.
-app103 (November 23, 2007, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Same here. I can get my Windows 2000 to run for a maximum of about 4 to 6 weeks, then things tend to get ugly. Sometimes even a BSOD.

Ralf Maximus:
I reload Windows Explorer more often because it keeps adding extra "Shared Documents" and "My Sharing Folders" to the folders structure.
-Arizona Hot (December 09, 2007, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gadzooks! What would cause that?  Never seen that behavior before.

The little green people icon -- is that MSN?

OldElmerFudd:
I selected "every couple of days" even though it is more like every 3-5 days.  Unless I'm having a problem, I only reboot just before doing an image backup, which I do twice/week.

I hibernate the machine (Dell desktop, XP Pro SP2) any time I'll be away from it for more than a few hours, never had a problem with hibernation or sleep mode.
-AndyM (November 24, 2007, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I use 3 "primary workstations", with the work load divided between graphics, audio, and general duties. They all stay on for days, sometimes a week or so. I image the primary partitions in those boxes when there's significant changes, at least every 2-3 weeks. Data's backed up daily; more often when I've been working on something major. My laptop's only on when I'm updating or traveling.
I'm not a big fan of hibernation; I prefer sleep or "standby".
Every one of them is running XP Pro SP2. I just hope MS supports the OS for more years than they say they will!
OEF

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version