ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Config always says Tray prog isn't running.

(1/7) > >>

BlackAle:
I've just installed ProcessTamer, upon launching the Configuration it'll say the Tray program is running but then instantly says it isn't, despite that fact that it is.

Does ProcessTamer require and specific services to be running? as my XP is highly optimised in that regard, as it is ProcessTamer doesn't seem to be doing anything.

mouser:
process tamer does not require any specific background processes to be running.

the configuration tool and the tray tool are separate processes in order to maximize efficiency (i.e. the tray utility is tiny and includes no configuration user interface).

there seem to be some people for whom the configuration tool does not properly locate the running tray process.. i'm not entirely sure why.  i'm assuming that you haven't renamed either of them.

if the configuration tool doesnt detect process tamer, the consequence will be that the tray utility won't be informed of changes to configurations.

to test if it is working run the cpueater test (there is a shortcut to it in the process tamer start menu group).

after a few seconds of it running process tamer should tame it.  if not, something is definitely not working.

let me know your results.  it should still tame it (tray icon should change a little and a balloon should pop up if configured to) even though the configuration tool doesnt see it.

if this behavior of the configuration tool persists (ie it never thinks the program is running) let me know and i will make a debug version that we can use to help find out what's going wrong.

BlackAle:
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried what you suggested but unfortunately no joy, after running cpueater, processtamer doesn't do anything.

I've tried on my notebook aswell, doesn't work on there either.

mouser:
it sounds like the problem is that the program is not able to get a list of running processes on your computer, or something else which is completely rendering the program inoperable.

ill bet its not finding a dll or something that it needs and yet is not complaining but is just silently failin.

maybe i can make a test program to list processes running and you can try it and let me know what it displays?
i will try to add some error reporting to help find such problems in the next version which should be out in the next week or so.

BlackAle:
I think I've found the cause of the problem, I use XPlite to remove components I don't use, one component is 'Performance Monitor' if I reinstall that using XPlite, ProcessTamer works, so yeah like you say most likely some DLL issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version