ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon's Kindle eBook Reader

<< < (7/7)

cjseymour:
The Kindle does read PDF files and with the latest version of the OS (for want of a better phrase) that was pushed out recently, does a decent job of rendering the PDF files.  Kindle 2.5 also includes some rudimentary organization tools that allow the user to create collections that books can be copied to.

~Chris

kyrathaba:
I bought my daughter a 2nd generation Kindle, as a Christmas gift.  I've been fooling with it, getting it ready for her.  I've de-registered it from my own Amazon account, created her an Amazon account and registered the device to her account.  And, I've copied quite a few free books onto it, and one purchased book she'd requested.

I have to say, it's pretty nifty.  Very light.  Battery life seems excellent.  Love the full-screen "photo-like" images it displays when putting itself into sleep-mode. 

Thinking of getting myself one at some point.

mouser:
I bought my daughter a 2nd generation Kindle, as a Christmas gift.
--- End quote ---

I really think these things make awesome gifts for kids.. unlike a cell phone or computer, they are purely constructive things.  there is a reasonable chance that your child will not use it much, but there is 0 chance that it will be used to waste their minds away.  And if it does catch their interest, it will open up a huge world of amazing free classic literature to them.

kyrathaba:
And if it does catch their interest, it will open up a huge world of amazing free classic literature to them.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I agree completely.

I've installed "Kindle for PC" on my laptop and have been downloading several free classics.

We're fortunate in my home.  Three of our five are avid readers.  We're just hoping that the youngest two children follow suit.  There is a significant body of research showing that success in later-life career endeavors is strongly positively correlated with early-start and ongoing reading.

Curt:
Amazon Kindle for PC 1.5.0 freeware

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version