ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help Name Our Cat!

(1/8) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Ms. Audrey Maximus will be turning 8 years old on November 27th.  For her birthday, we have agreed to get her a cat, to be added to the pack of existing animals at House Maximus: two weiner dogs (Oscar & Bryndal) and two cats (Pixel & Storm).  She's a total animal person and takes care of the critters now, so this is a logical extension of her passion.

We've started the process of meeting the local cat rescue folks, and are planning a trip to the shelter.  The new kitty will be female, and will be out of kittenhood, but beyond that Ms. Audrey can select whatever she wants.  I just hope there's no escaped Pumas or anything at the shelter.

Here's our wee problem.  Ms. Audrey is bound and determined to name the new kitty (I kid you not) "www.smellsalot.com" ...oh, sweet jesus, this would be so cute in other circumstances, but I can't imagine saddling a noble creature like feline domesticus with a domain name.  A really bad domain name. 

And no, I ain't registering it.  Not gonna happen.

So, please post suggestions for an alternative name.  Please.

Veign:
I go with names around development.  My dogs name was 'beta' and my next dog will be called v1.0 (one for short).  So maybe something slightly geeky - get her started young as the world needs more geeks.

mouser:
I remember hearing somewhere that it was a bad idea to associate a pet as a present.. I guess i'm high strung enough or new agey enough to take such warnings seriously.  If you are too you could simply make something else her "present" (the gift of naming the cat can be here present), and then the cat is welcomed to the family not as a gift but as another family member who is thereafter to share the same birthday as audrey.

Quick google search of people saying bad to give pets as presents:

* http://www.ocolly.okstate.edu/issues/1997_Fall/971204/stories/pets.html
* http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa113000a.htm
* http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_giftpet.php
Thinking about it, I think probably most of the caution against "pets as presents" is probably directed at people who are giving like a surprise present of a pet and then *assuming* that the recipient will want and care for it.  If the person is actively asking for such a pet it may not make a difference whether it comes on their birthday or not.

I just hope there's no escaped Pumas or anything at the shelter.
--- End quote ---
;D

Animals often seem to inspire kids to name them after they've been owned for a day.  Why not tell audrey to meet the cat first and then try to figure out the name that best suits it.

Renegade:
That is hilarious! I love it!

How about just getting Audrey to choose a better domain - preferably one that's not taken. :D

Or she could observe the cat for a while then give it a name. If it's clumsy, then call it "Crash". If it's a good mouser (  :o ), call it "try-catch". If it eats a lot, call it "CPU Hog" or "Resource Hog". If it tends to pee where it's not supposed to, call it "Memory Leak". :D

Oh the fun to be had with techy pet names!

mouser:
ps. If audrey is already considering names based on domain name availability, she may just have a future in the tech business...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version