ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

drum program

<< < (2/5) > >>

Lashiec:
Look up his nick on Google, it's self explaining

wolf.b:
OK, I have read How did "faggot" get to mean "male homosexual"? pointed to by google. I did misunderstand it as a unusual spelling of a musical instrument. In my mother language there is an instrument called "Fagott", and in my ignorance I thought it may be the same or similar in English, (as is the case for other instruments like organ=Orgel, trumpet=Trompete ...).

Now I wonder whether the members of this forum actively discourage the membership of people that are homosexual and admit to it. Or is there some taboo attached to the nickname, that I still don't get?

Wolf

f0dder:
We have "fagot" in Danish as well, but couple his nickname with the forum title...

I don't have anything against gay people etc., but his name/title might offend somebody. It does baffle me a bit, though, since his post is a perfectly acceptable one, and doesn't look like a troll post (which I would have expected with that kind of name).

jgpaiva:
"Faggot (epithet), a pejorative term for a gay or effeminate man"-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(epithet)
--- End quote ---

Given this quote, that nick is considered abusive/offensive, and i think it should be changed.
On the contrary, Wolf. AFAIK, there isn't anything against the gay community (or any other community, for that matter), but the way that nick refers to a homosexual, might be considered offensive for them, thus, it's innapropriate.

PS: i didn't delete the thread because this is a sensitive matter that i think should be handled by mr.mouser himself

wolf.b:
Hi jgpaiva,

Now I have to look up "pejorative" as well. But I did understand
that nick is considered abusive/offensive

--- End quote ---

Thanks for enlightenment.

Hi f0dder,

after having learned my lession, I see now that your comment was not a bad joke, but a sign of your caring for people that might be offended. Hope you weren't offended by me being shocked, and writing about it.

Greetings
Wolf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version