ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop or Desktop — which are you?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Edvard:
Hmm...
Laptop:

or Desktop:

I donno... I'm torn.

BTW-that's not me and those aren't mine, but something about brass gears and ticky levers make me all gooey...

steeladept:
I chose other for several reasons...but most go back essentially to what others are saying.

About 3 years ago I built my own machine because I can  :P and really not for any other reason, really.  I chose all my own parts and fought with a few minor gliches and incompatibilities.  I built it as a mid-ranged gaming rig, mostly out of cost concerns, and used it for about two years.  At the same time, I had been using a laptop at work.

About a year ago, my mother got very sick and the family packed up and moved in to take care of her.  After her death, we have stayed here and still are moving stuff in, so we are hardly what I call settled.  One of the things packed during that time is my desktop computer.  We pulled it out for a short while to replace her PC that fried from a surge, but packed it away again when another surge destroyed the new surge suppressor.  It has been packed away ever since.

When I was using both, I was using the laptop about 60% of the time, the desktop the other 40%, and almost always for gaming.  Since then I have been using the laptop 100%, but have not changed my machine roll - I just don't game anymore.  Well that is not quite true, I just haven't PC gamed in the past year.  I find the laptop more than a match for everything I do, from programming (learning anyway) to internet to picture enhancement, to actual work (desktop support work if interested).  My company provides the laptop, a docking station, and all the peripherals to make the laptop a suitable desktop when docked.  It is very adequate and quite comfortable.

So I guess my rambling is basically getting to why I chose other - I used to use both more or less equally, but now I use my laptop equally in docking station and out.  Is that laptop or desktop?  You decide, I am tired  :D

dlagesse1992:
I use a laptop for many reasons:
1. I need one for school - I use it in class.
2. Portable
3. At my desk it is powerful enough that I can plug my keyboard and mouse in and have essentially a desktop.
4. I can write on it. (tablet PC).
5. Why not?

DJMusic:
I don't really know why I preffered a laptop but it sure does good work. I have 2 laptops, the second one is just a few days old :P

Laptop 1:

Packard Bell EasyNote ...
1 GB RAM
60 GB Harddisk
64 MB Videocard from S3
15.4 Inch screen from S3
DVD-ROM
1.5 GHz Processor

Windows XP was installed but the computer crashed. That's why I bought a new one. I'm trying to install other OS's, but none of them please me at the moment ;)

Laptop 2:

Compaq Presario V6640ED
2 GB DDR2 SRAM (2 Dimm)
250 GB Harddisk
LightScribe Super Multi 8x dvd/rw-drive with double layer support
Lithium-ion accu
HP Remote Control (for Windows Media Center)
nVidia GeForce 7150M with shared videomemory (559 MB)
AMD Athlon 64 Moblie Technology TK-55 and 512 KB L2-cache (1.8 GHz)
15.4 Inch WideScreen
802.11b/g WLAN
5-in-1 Card Reader

This one has Windows Vista Home Premium installed.

zridling:
Wow, you have good tastes, DJMusic! I envy laptop #2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version