ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Poem of English Pronunciation

<< < (2/3) > >>

JennyB:
I first came across it on this site

What is Regular English Pronunciation?

Regular English Pronunciation (REP) is an artificial accent of English - perhaps the first 'designer' accent of any existing language. The aims of REP are to provide a pronunciation of written English that is highly intelligible, easy to learn, and logically connected to the current spelling of English. Let's take these in turn:

Aim-1. Highly intelligible
REP aims to maintain as great a percentage of existing pronunciations as possible, compatible with Aim-2 and Aim-3. In fact over 75% of REP pronunciations of words in a typical running text are the same as standard pronunciations.

Aim-2. Easy to learn
REP aims to have as few pronunciation rules (letter-to-sound rules) as possible, compatible with Aim-1 and Aim-3. In fact REP version 1.01 consists of just 100 rules and 100 exceptions, well within the capability of a learner to remember.

Aim-3. Logical
REP will be as logically connected to the spelling as possible, compatible with Aim-1 and Aim-2. In fact REP is 100% logical but requires spelling to be parsed into morphological units before a pronunciation is assigned.

--- End quote ---

An interesting idea that makes more sense than simplified spelling.

Darwin:
Please, don't get me started on simplified spelling...  >:(

tomos:
Please, don't get me started on simplified spelling...  >:(
-Darwin (November 17, 2007, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

what spelling do you use in Canada - like in US or UK - or is there a Canadian spelling?

tomos:
An interesting idea that makes more sense than simplified spelling.-JennyB (November 17, 2007, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

but has it a chance ? :) imagine trying to pronounce every fourth word different :-\

I suppose if you get em young...
here in (Pfalz) Germany I find it interesting the the local accent(s) are so strong (dialects) that people say they learn their first foreign language on going to school - hochdeutsch = "high german". They then change between them like different languages. interesting as well that the dialects are basically not written as such - no spelling rules at all - way-hay 8)

I always have to imagine people with extremely strong.. say scottish accents turning around and speaking to someone in BBC english!

cranioscopical:
I always have to imagine people with extremely strong.. say scottish accents turning around and speaking to someone in BBC english!
-tomos (November 17, 2007, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't it delightful when that kind of thing really happens?
I recall being served fish and chips by a gentleman whose appearance and location led me to expect him to be Chinese. He addressed me in a broad Glaswegian accent.

Canadian spelling is mainly the same as British with some (few) American spellings for example, we have car tires, not car tyres. The preferred ending for 'ise' words is 'ize', so we don't sympathise, we sympathize.

For myself, I find that rotating between Canada, the U.K., and the U.S. pretty well guarantees that I'll make errors in all three  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version