ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away

<< < (7/7)

f0dder:
In the case of Doom III, I don't think ID has deliberately tried to make it NT-only... but they might have done the sane thing and not worried about 9x compatibility. There is quite a difference in that regard, considering all the limitations 9x has.

But from 2k->XP there isn't really a lot of new and incompatible stuff added, and those XP-only games... well. foo.

nontroppo:
Here are another set of benchmarks, showing on average a 24% slowdown of Vista compared to XP. The benchmarks are aimed at windows virtualisation on OS X, but they tested straight bootcamp installs of XP and Vista (thus native):

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.24/24.02/VirtualizationBenchmark/

Armando:
Thanks nontroppo. Interesting stuff.

On another note, I wonder... How can Windows XP under bootcamp run faster than on "a PC"... ??? Doesn't it only depend on the machine's specs ???

The machines specs are :

PC : Fujitsu Lifebook A6025, with an Intel Core Duo running at 1.86 GHz, 1GB RAM, running Windows XP SP2.

MacBook : 2GB RAM machine, running a 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor.
MacBook Pro : 4GB RAM machine, running a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.
Mac Pro was a 4GB RAM machine, running a Quad Core configuration with two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors.

nontroppo:
I suspect that is comparing the Macbook to the Lifebook - 0.03 clock slower but 2X the memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version