ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

compare text files

<< < (3/6) > >>

muntealb:
The built-in compare module from PSPad (open source text editor) is in my opinion the best comparing tool for text files. It beats WinMerge from a usability point of view.

You open File 1 in PSPad, then go to Tools>Text Differences>text Diff with this file>Browse and choose File 2. The lines that are different in the two files will be colored.

Address : http://www.pspad.com/

OGroeger:
As far as i know all comparison tools don't compare each line of one file which each line of a second file. They all define a kind of compare context in which they compare. The most simple example of such a context is that you compare only line 10 in one file with the lines 5 to line 15 in the other file. As a matter of fact the tools make this more clever, but dependant on how different the files of Kalos are, they might give him not the results he wants.

Btw. another comparison tool: ExamDiff

nontroppo:
The reason I originally chose Compare It! "compared" to Beyond Compare / Ultracompare is that I found its heuristics to handle moved sections better (as well as better within-line comparison). One can also use Regex pre-parsing or input plugins prior to matching to improve matching efficiency.

f0dder:
The reason I originally chose Compare It! "compared" to Beyond Compare / Ultracompare is that I found its heuristics to handle moved sections better (as well as better within-line comparison). One can also use Regex pre-parsing or input plugins prior to matching to improve matching efficiency.
-nontroppo (November 10, 2007, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's nice to know :)

tinjaw:
Hmm, Compare It! is on sale today. 25% off for 24 hours. I see v4 is in alpha testing.

So far they haven't answered the ICQ message I sent them. I don't see any upgrade pricing on their site. Is it a lifetime license?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version