ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maybe Vista doesn't suck?

<< < (20/21) > >>

axfleming:
Microsoft needs to do what Apple did when they went from OS9 to OSX:
Ditch the albatross-around-the-neck compatibility and focus on a new platform, period.

It is the ONLY way forward, and Microsoft MUST do this or face EXTINCTION.

It will happen, whether you agree or not.

f0dder:
Then... the spell starts to break!

But no, it will not happen. It sounds like they want to do it with Windows 7, which sounds pretty hopeful, but Vista sounded like they were going to do something pretty radical, but ended up "Meh. Bother. Whatever".

Darwin:
Ironically, I can see that axfleming is right. But I am one of the XP camp howling in protest over all of the broken applications that won't run under Vista... :-[

Carol Haynes:
But maybe you were upset because they said everything would be compatible. Apple got it right when they moved to OSX they said older stuff won't run you'll need to use an OS9 compatible layer. There is no reason why MS can't do that with Windows 7 - all new native apps but with a Windows 2000/XP/Vista compatability layer.

Hang on isn't there a compatability layer in Windows now anyway - yes but it doesn't work well! (Right click on an EXE file and you can set it to run in Windows 98 mode if you want - but don't expect anything much to happen 'cos it never worked well).

Ralf Maximus:
I think you're right, Carol.  What's hurt Vista the most is the pre-arrival hype.  They should have taken a page from the software gaming industry and downplayed things more... too many halfway decent games were destroyed by reviewers because all the pregame hype made it sound like Jesus was personally writing the thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version