ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File synchronization: moving away from incremental backup (HELP!)

<< < (8/13) > >>

tranglos:
10000 file limit per folder (you can sync up to 10 folder)
-nitrix-ud (November 30, 2007, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
10 folder limit seems pretty limiting.....Is this a free version limit?
-johnfdeluca (November 30, 2007, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking at the website, it's an online storage thing, ie. your data kept on their servers. It does not appear to sync folder to folder, locally:
https://www.foldershare.com/images/screenShot.jpg
https://www.foldershare.com/info/howItWorks.php?

John, how's Tivoli Continuous Data Protection doing? I've just installed the trial on my laptop and it's very interesting, but I haven't quite figured out its workings yet. I've noticed it starts backing up certain files even without any manual configuration, which is nice. Nicer even that it picked up my Firefox profile folder of its own volition. At the same time there's a weirdness to it, because from the whole profile folder it picked and backed up only one XUL file. (I know very little about how it works yet, though I acquired some familiarity with Tivoli Storage Manager, when it was being localized for Polish some years ago. I remember TSM had a very cool idea of archiving with stub files, but CDP does not seem to include that.)

I've been putting off installation of the trial since IBM customer support cannot figure out if I can even buy the product from them. Poland is not listed among the countries on the product page, and when I try to go to checkout, I get an "unexpected error" from the server. IBM support keeps redirecting me from person to person, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to order it, so I'm hesitant to use the trial, since it looks like a GREAT solution for hands-free backup to NAS, and I don't want to get attached :)

.marek

johnfdeluca:
Sorry to hear of your problems navigating the IBM maze....wish I could help.  As far as my experience with it, it's been all good.  That said, after installation a year or so ago, I've not really spent much if any time in the UI until/except to help provide info here.  That's one of the things I like about it....set it and forget it.  It selects files for synch which meet the criteria I set which is either a filename/ext I set or via the programs list (which seems to know what data files to back up).  But my experience is that it doesn't back up anything under it's own volition....it has to meet the selection criteria I specified in the settings. 

Please post back your experience with IBM in resolving this problem.....I think (good or bad), it's important folks know about it, especially if they are considering a purchase.  While the backing of a big company like IBM behind software can be a good thing in terms of knowing the company will likely be there to support the software....it can also be a bad thing if the little guy gets lost in the shuffle of impersonal treatment.

nitrix-ud:
10 folder limit seems pretty limiting.....Is this a free version limit?
--- End quote ---
nope this is the limit, there was a paid version before microsoft bought it... (maybe without the limit... i don't know)
i would pay a lot to remove it though...

Looking at the website, it's an online storage thing, ie. your data kept on their servers. It does not appear to sync folder to folder, locally:-tranglos
--- End quote ---
it has nothing to do with online storage  :D (no file is stored on their servers...)
and it DOES sync folder to folder either locally or through the internet  :Thmbsup:
(it does need the foldershare servers to manage the sync process however)

tranglos:
it has nothing to do with online storage  :D (no file is stored on their servers...)
and it DOES sync folder to folder either locally or through the internet  :Thmbsup:
(it does need the foldershare servers to manage the sync process however)
-nitrix-ud (November 30, 2007, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I apologize, I must heve gotten confused by their screnshot, then :) But what about the "web download" feature, which apparently lets you get your files from any computer, anywhere, by connecting to the foldershare server?
https://www.foldershare.com/info/help/learnWebDL.php?

On edit: I think I got it. It seems to create a p2p connection, so as long as the source machine is connected to foldershare, you can connect any other machine anywhere and download files from the source.

.marek

Armando:
Sorry to revive this old thread.... But I couldn't find the info I'm looking for and I'm curious about what f0dder chose -- in terms of backup/mirroring -- for the museum he works for.

So, f0dder : did you stick with MirrorFolder after all, and does it work well (in terms of performance, HD access especially...)? I'm pretty happy with SyncBackSE, but MirrorFolder seems so cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version