ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File synchronization: moving away from incremental backup (HELP!)

<< < (4/13) > >>

Armando:
Thanks! I'm asking because I didn't find that SFFS's delta backup technology accelerated my backups by that much, if any acceleration.

not having to scan a potentially deep folder tree for changes on a fs-change event notify can also save time
-f0dder (November 10, 2007, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely. Yes, there's that too...

f0dder:
SFFS delta backup probably has to read through the entire file to check which range(s) have changed... that's take some time. But I haven't read up on how it does it, so it's just a guess :)

tomos:
Thanks! I'm asking because I didn't find that SFFS's delta backup technology accelerated my backups by that much, if any acceleration.-Armando (November 10, 2007, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

on my last computer I was using a usb1.1 connection sometimes -
partial file update made a BIG difference there :)
but also notice a speed difference with usb2

but I just have it running in the background anyways &
while I synch some big files, there's not many of them & I've never bothered timing them..

AEngineer:
Here's a quick plug for a MS product (bought) - Foldershare.  I've been using it for several years to sync folders on five machines(!) at different locations, desktop and laptops both.  It does sometimes produce extra copies of files if there have been simultaneous edits, quite easily found and deleted, but I've never lost anything.
Free
Limit of 10G per sync
Limit of about 10 simultaneous syncs
It will sync Macs and PC's but not (surprise?) linux.
I'd gladly pay some for a "Pro" version with more capacity but they seem happy to let it languish.  There have been no changes since MS bought it.

MerleOne:
NTI Shadows seem to do what you are looking for :
http://www.ntius.com/shadow.asp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version