ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual Desktop suggestions?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Edvard:
For the record, I am still using jspager.
Just haven't found a comparable replacement outside of Litestep or BB4win that I liked, although Dexpot and Vern have gotten good reactions.

nontroppo:
Hi, having demoed Dexpot I can heartily recommend it. I also run a virtual desktop manager in Tiger (VirtueDesktops) and so I normally have 3 OS X desktops, one of which has 4 Windows desktops running within (I just need a Linux VM running in one of the Windows screens for the full Russian doll) ;-)

Dexpot has a global overview mode which is nice, and is really friendly to configure, and light in resources.

Screencast of it all working together (any jerkiness comes from the limited framerate to keep screencast smallish...)

dalchina:
DeskSpace has an intriguing way of switching desktops- 4 faces of a cube (top and bottom aren't usable - alas?? Could anyone cope with 6?

Anyway, takes around 25Mb of RAM with one desktop configured, and the graphics and switching are really neat. Sort of shrinks away so you see the semi tranparent cube with reflections, then you spin the cube- with dynamic springy 'bounce', all configurable, to see your next desktop, then let it expand back towards you.

I'm using a laptop with integrated graphics, shared RAM, i.e. nothing splendid, and it ran painlessly.

So if you like that kind of neat display... but other offerings will have lower overheads I'm sure.

By contrast, SphereXP - a kind of 3D surround-you rotatable virtual desktop where it seems you spin your desktop around you- seemed much more a concept demonstration, signifcantly losing resolution and to me, making life significantly harder.

siouxdax:
I use Chimera Virtual Desktop and I've never had any complaints. It can be found at http://www.chimera.hu/virtual_desktop/products.php?action=teaser

Dormouse:
I'm about to re-setup all the family PCs. They will all be setup to run Linux (Ubuntu probably) and XP Pro. After thinking about it, I think I've decided to put one of the OSs into a VM and run it like that.

Any ideas about which makes the best 'base' OS? And how much does that affect the choice of VM? Currently, I'm looking at VirtualBox which runs on all the OSs, but this is not true of them all. Also thinking I will make Linux the base OS since I have more confidence in its security and insulation from threats and that will be the OS most used for internet etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version