ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Technology Myths

<< < (3/10) > >>

CWuestefeld:
As a manager of software development, one of my greatest annoyances is the myth that platform independence matters.

To be fair, I'm sure that there are some situations where it does. Companies like Adobe with products that straddle platforms are obvious examples. However, in most cases, and particularly with internal enterprise software, this is completely irrelevant.

I get developers out of college that are all enthusiastic about adding an extra layer to the database access, just in case we decide to change from SQL Server to Oracle. The thing is we will never make that change (and if we did, making the necessary changes to data access would be the smallest of the problems). And by adding this layer, they add unnecessary complexity to the system. And that makes the system both more fragile and harder to maintain all at the same time.

While treading carefully to try to avoid flaming, I think your list of myths reveals another set of "counter-myths". For example, saying that "Windows operating system is good at provacy than linux or mac" is a myth implies that Windows is worse at protecting our privacy. In fact, I'd say that either OS is about equal in providing a platform in which we can protect our privacy, if it's important to us. The problem isn't so much with the OS as with the users (not personally, but in their willingness to make it a priority)

Also, you state this "myth": "To learn C++,you should learn C first otherwise you dont understand the C++". Actually, C++ is a proper superset of C (with a couple of tiny exceptions), so if you don't understand C, you won't be able to understand C++. That said, though, learning C qua C is not the way to learn C++ because, while the two may share syntax, they absolutely do NOT share the same mode of thought. So this myth may be true, depending on what aspect you're getting at.

iphigenie:
sometimes it is a good idea to have that flexibility that an abstraction layer brings, and sometimes it isnt.

That's one technology myth though, that one database is just as good as another - specifically that "mysql" is as good as any other and could replace them all. I hear that one a lot.

There's another one that thinks that for anything serious you have to use Oracle.

app103:
Now here is a myth created by the 'smarties' that desperately needs shattering:

- All AOL users are stupid people that barely know how to turn their PC on.

This myth buster is brought to you by...an AOL user.

nontroppo:
But we *do* know that AOL users use far too much toilet paper!  ;)

p3lb0x:
Here is a gaming myth

- you need a G15 keyboard and G5 mouse to be any good in a shooter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version