ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (6/19) > >>

lanux128:
i froogled for dvi cables and it doesn't seem that expensive.. maybe i should get one for better viewing quality..

tomos:
I have a friend that bought a 21.4" Samsung with 3000:1 contrast ratio. I'm not sure why he needed it (suspect he doesn't) but I'm gathering from people's choices here that 800:1 (which is a lot cheaper where I am) would be just fine for normal usage?-Darwin (November 05, 2007, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was looking at a catalogue & some advertising/junk mail yesterday.
I was suprised even in the catalogue for some screens they were saying
Kontrast (dyn.) 3000:1
others then were listed without the dynamic bit - (are they using the same word in english - I think so)

Read somewhere here lately someone saying dynamic contrast wasnt worth much...?
& that the actual contrast much more important

Unfortunately they often dont say what the actual contrast is
which means you've got to go research

There was a thread lately (name?) where (nudone, I think) was saying go for 1000:1 if you can  :-\

f0dder:
Also keep in mind that a DVI output can be converted to VGA/D-SUB, but not the other way around (well, perhaps with some expensive peripheral, but...).

Ralf Maximus:
i froogled for dvi cables and it doesn't seem that expensive.. maybe i should get one for better viewing quality..
-lanux128 (November 06, 2007, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

If both your video card and monitor support DVI -- YES.  It makes a tremendous difference.  Go for it.

Tekzel:
I am in the pro-widescreen camp, firmly.  I replaced my CRTs a while back with a couple of Mag 19" widescreen LCDs and have never looked back. I have yet to find a scenario where I would prefer a 4:3 display, I dont really play older games and the games I have played to date all support the native 1440x900 resolution of my screen.  I will never use a 4:3 again.  I also like the Mag because it has 3 inputs, 1 DVI that goes to my computer and 2x VGA that one of which goes to my Xbox 360.  I plan on trying to find a VGA adapter for my PS2 and hooking it up to my third input! :)

F0dder, I am curious about the comment you made where you felt the 4:3 display is better for coding.  I couldn't disagree more, and I am curious what your reasoning is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version