ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (5/19) > >>

Deozaan:
When they built LCD monitors and laptops to cater for those, will they be allowed to call them 42" Super Wide  ?
When their height might be 5"
-RobC (November 05, 2007, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

RobC: All monitors and TV sets and screens in general are measured diagonally from corner to corner. And in response to the above quote: That's why it's important to know the aspect ratio. A 42in. "Super Wide" that was only 5in. tall would be something close to 8:1 (which means that it's 8 times as wide as it is tall)

Use the Pythagorean theorem for the real answer. A^2 + B^2 = C^2, where in this case A = 5 and C = 42 which means B is about 41.7 inches. Or, to put it in a more readable format: The monitor screen is 5" tall, about 41.7" wide, and is measured/advertised as 42" (diagonally).

in that case, will a DVI-VGA adapter work?
-lanux128 (November 05, 2007, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

A DVI-VGA adapter will work to get it to plug in properly, but you still lose the benefits of DVI (DVI is digital, VGA is analog), and thus don't have the nicer picture quality. It's like recording a vinyl record album to mp3. Sure, it's playing as a digital mp3, but that doesn't improve the audio quality beyond the original vinyl record.

lanux128:
A DVI-VGA adapter will work to get it to plug in properly, but you still lose the benefits of DVI (DVI is digital, VGA is analog), and thus don't have the nicer picture quality. It's like recording a vinyl record album to mp3. Sure, it's playing as a digital mp3, but that doesn't improve the audio quality beyond the original vinyl record.-Deozaan (November 05, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

so that means i'll be better off buying a DVI cable separately.. since i'm still finding my feet here, i'm going to google some pics on both type of cables..

Deozaan:
A DVI-VGA adapter will work to get it to plug in properly, but you still lose the benefits of DVI (DVI is digital, VGA is analog), and thus don't have the nicer picture quality. It's like recording a vinyl record album to mp3. Sure, it's playing as a digital mp3, but that doesn't improve the audio quality beyond the original vinyl record.-Deozaan (November 05, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

so that means i'll be better off buying a DVI cable separately.. since i'm still finding my feet here, i'm going to google some pics on both type of cables..
-lanux128 (November 05, 2007, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Typically VGA (D-Sub) is blue and DVI is white on the connectors. Also DVI has some prongs and then a "+" (plus sign) shaped prong separated a ways from the others in the connector. No way to mix them up.

lanux128:
thanks to Deozaan & Google image, now i know that D-Sub is VGA.. ;D in that case, there's no way to mix them up. but i'm still wondering about Samsung's reasoning behind NOT shipping a DVI cable when the model supports it.. :-\

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

Deozaan:
but i'm still wondering about Samsung's reasoning behind NOT shipping a DVI cable when the model supports it.. :-\
-lanux128 (November 06, 2007, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure. I didn't get one with mine either. But get this: My brother's laptop came with one. I ended up borrowing his until I bought another monitor that actually came with both DVI and VGA AND a DVI-VGA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version