ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (7/19) > >>

f0dder:
F0dder, I am curious about the comment you made where you felt the 4:3 display is better for coding.  I couldn't disagree more, and I am curious what your reasoning is.
-Tekzel (November 06, 2007, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I tend to maximize my apps, it's faster than manually resizing... a text editor (notepad++) becomes way too wide this way, and even visual studio with solution explorer, toolbox etc. open is quite wide enough. On a widescreen, there's simply too much wasted space if you maximize, in my opinion, and I'm afraid that might encourage having way too long source lines.

Lashiec:
Companies tend to not include DVI cables to cut costs. They don't even give you DVI-VGA converters, those are provided by graphic cards manufacturers. That reminds me that my DVI cable is purchase pending ;D

Also, another good reason for not going 16:9 is desktop space. Currently, I have the printer at one side, and it would be difficult to fit a wide screen panel, at least with enough space for the speakers to be separated from the screen.

Darwin:
More food for thought. I don't game and I don't watch movies on my computer (very often, anyway). Seems there may be compelling reasons to avoid widescreen given that I, too, like to maximize my apps (Word, Excel, Access) when working?

Ralf Maximus:
More food for thought. I don't game and I don't watch movies on my computer (very often, anyway). Seems there may be compelling reasons to avoid widescreen given that I, too, like to maximize my apps (Word, Excel, Access) when working?
-Darwin (November 06, 2007, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless you're buying a panel that HONESTLY shows (say) 2560x1024 pixels, and your video card can support that resolution, there will be horizontal stretching by the drivers and hardware.  Fugly, fugly, fugly.

In most cases it's better and cheaper to go with a pair of 4:3 panels and let Windows "expand your desktop".

Darwin:
OK - thanks for confirming that, Ralf. I guess the final "step" in considering this should be to hook my notebook up to my friend's monitor and see if the anaemic Centrino video card is up to the task. I'd hate to spend the money only to find that the secondary monitor flickers on me...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version