ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which MP3 tagger do you use?

<< < (12/16) > >>

superboyac:
At first glance, IMHO, when comparing Tag&Rename to mp3tag the easy answer is Tag&Rename, but mp3tag has a deceptively simple interface. Lurking under the surface is a scripting language that is compatible with Foobar2000's Tagz scripting language. Users are free to write their own scripts for many things including tagging from web sources that don't come stock with the program. Actions may also be scripted that can perform any number of operations on your files with the scripting language being powerful enough that your imagination is the only limiting factor. You don't have to reinvent the wheel, either, as their forum is full of actions and scripts you can add to your installation easily.

What cinched me as a user is unlike most tagging programs, Tag&Rename included, you are not boxed into a pre-determined set of tags that the program author feels should be all you will need. You can use mp3tag to create, edit, and delete any tag. I'm talking any tag written by any tagging program ever & you are free to even create your own tags. Even if you have no interest in creating your own tags maybe you have some music files that were tagged by some other program you were using 5-10 years ago.

Who knows what weird tags are lurking in your files that your old program utilized that your new one doesn't? Well, mp3tag knows and gives you the ability to look at the raw list of tags & add, edit, or delete any your new tagging scheme & tagging program don't use. For a specific example, this is especially useful for those who used MusicMatch back at the height of its popularity. MusicMatch used a LOT of custom tags that no other tagging program uses. Loading up these files in mp3tag will allow you to nuke those relics from the past with impunity.
-Innuendo (November 19, 2009, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
i agree with you.  That's I always say "for basic purposes" for these tagging programs.  Most users do not encounter situations like you described.  For basic tagging with normal fields, it's very quick and easy in Tag&Rename, and because that's 90% what I do, it's my favorite program for it.  now, sometimes i do need something fancier, and I do use other programs for that.  (I still don't know what to do about classical music).  But a few years ago, i railed against programs like Godfather, which turned something as simple as managing mp3 tags into a phd class in programming...just completely unintuitive and nonproductive.

Curt:
I use AudioShell ...
-dhuser (November 05, 2007, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

What is the situation today - with AudioShell not been updated since July 2007 (XP > Vista > Seven) ?

Dormouse:
I use mp3tag & J River. Also use Replay Music.
Can't say I'm that heavily into tagging though. I listen to a wide range of music, and usually just have the player set to shuffle from the whole collection of whatever gadget I'm on. Or listen to 'radio' streams. If I want to check out a particular artist, I use Spotify.

Innuendo:
i agree with you.  That's I always say "for basic purposes" for these tagging programs.  Most users do not encounter situations like you described.-superboyac (November 19, 2009, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree. Most people have been collecting digital music for years and they haven't used one program throughout the entire process. Heck, different programs can't decide which tag to use for the artist when it comes to MP3s.

For basic tagging with normal fields, it's very quick and easy in Tag&Rename, and because that's 90% what I do, it's my favorite program for it.  now, sometimes i do need something fancier, and I do use other programs for that.
--- End quote ---

This is what I like about mp3tag. You can set it up to be as simple or as elaborate as you wish. You don't have to switch gears and learn a different program.

(I still don't know what to do about classical music).
--- End quote ---

You don't use the MP3 format. You use Ogg Vorbis or FLAC which has a much more versatile tagging format & then use a media player that can understand how you tag.

But a few years ago, i railed against programs like Godfather, which turned something as simple as managing mp3 tags into a phd class in programming...just completely unintuitive and nonproductive.
--- End quote ---

The Godfather was the most powerful & most counter-intuitive program of its day. Throw in a retro Windows 95 style GUI and you had something that was frustratingly powerful; emphasis on the word frustratingly.

Innuendo:
This is good to know! I used MusicMatch for a number of years.-Darwin (November 19, 2009, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then if you tagged any of your music with MusicMatch they got all sorts of weird things in there. You'd be surprised what you'd find. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version