ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google OS already here, with hardware?! Well, sort of.

<< < (4/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I agree with you Josh but I don't think it is going to happen.

Personally I think a good compromise solution would be for Linux distributions to be clearly aimed at specific applications, for example Workstation, Software developer, Server etc., but within those categories aim for consistency between distributions - ie. use same folder structures, have a common approach to software installation and removal. Where they could diverge is the choice of software installed automatically but at least anyone using a particular type of Linux distribution (say workstation) would have a common starting point. It would also be really useful if a common installation system could be developed so that all distributions use the best of the installers out there and make it easier to install and troubleshoot installation problems because the process is common to all distributions (at least in terms of interface, vocabulary). Finally a removal of geek speak from the whole process would make Linux inifintely more attractive to the majority non-geek market.

This would all save large groups of people constantly 'reinventing the wheel' too as each distro type has largely the same aims!

Josh:
Carol, not to side track here, but I never once thought that you and I would agree on any particular topic. Cheers  :beerchug: ;-)

f0dder:
Carol:

Carol Haynes:
Carol, not to side track here, but I never once thought that you and I would agree on any particular topic. Cheers  :beerchug: ;-)
-Josh (November 05, 2007, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eh? Don't we always agree  :Thmbsup:  :eusa_dance:

Carol: (see attachment in previous post)
-f0dder (November 05, 2007, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL !! true - very true (but then I did say similar in the first line!)

Edvard:
hmm... Google OS is Ubuntu based.
So it's not really a New operating system, just Google schmarm slathered on top of the current touted-as-easy-to-use Linux distro.
So what's the difference?
The Name.
If anybody named Joe Schmoe is going to trust a Linux distro AT ALL it'd better have a major brand name on it. Microsoft, Google, Adobe, you get the idea. I bet average folks would even take a second look at Sun's offering if they called it JavaOS and shilled it through Wal-Mart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version