ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google OS already here, with hardware?! Well, sort of.

(1/8) > >>

zridling:
So far this has been an exciting year for operating systems, among them OpenSolaris, but for now this Fall brings another surprise, a Linux-based Google computer, or gOS sold by Wal-Mart for under $200.

Everex, a longtime personal computer vendor, has unveiled its latest PC featuring Ubuntu Linux-based open-source productivity software and Google-based Web 2.0 applications. The package does not include a monitor, but does include a keyboard, mouse, and stereo speakers. For graphics, it uses a VIA UniChrome Pro chipset on the motherboard. This, in turn, uses 64MB of system memory. The computer's pre-installed and linked Software includes Mozilla Firefox, gMail, Meebo (a browser-based IM client) Skype, Google Documents & Spreadsheets, Google Calendar, Google News, Google Maps, GIMP, Blogger, the Xine Movie Player, and OpenOffice 2.3.

kalos:
I would like to see Google developing OS...

Darwin:
Yeah, I doubt that they'll take the plunge anytime soon, but it would be nice to see another major player on the OS scene. If nothing else, it would give people something else to argue about!

Josh:
Thats just it, would I want GoogleOs? Would it run what I already use or would I have to adopt new software and programs that dont offer the same functionality as what I use now? It would have to have some very compelling reasons for me to swap to it.

Darwin:
Good point, Josh. This is the stumbling block for me switching full-time to either Mac OSX or Linux. Congrats on joining the "Kilo Club" btw :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version