ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SyncBackSE vs. SuperFlexible

<< < (15/16) > >>

tranglos:
Not a bad choice at all, DBC.  I use BackUp4All also, along with SFFS and FileHamster.  I love FileHamster for its ease and the fact that it just works so well - I will most likely purchase a Pro license shortly.
-J-Mac (December 06, 2007, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you know if there's a trial for the Pro version, Jim? It seems that only the free version can be downloaded. (I'll probably still try it anyway, still need to find a real-time-backup-on-change-with-versioning solution).

Still like MirrorFolder, but after emailing the author with some questions regarding performance, then filing a support ticket through their web interface, I'm still waiting for a reply a month later, so it's unlikely to be coming.

Of the remaining two, I would make the same choice that you did.  BackUp4All is excellent.  I'll leave it at that...
--- End quote ---

Backup4All is excellent, despite of all I've said about it here :) Having tested nearly all of the backup apps discused on DC, I'm staying with Backup4All. It even saved my a** recently when the manufacturer of my NAS device sent me a beta version of their firmware, which corrupted every file copied onto the device (added 1 byte in front of every file!), and Backup4All complained immediately when it noticed something dicey was happening to its catalog files. It does have a number of quirks, and it's not the optimal backup tool in the ideal Platonic sense, but I'm just about convinved it's the optimal backup tool available today.

J-Mac:
Not a bad choice at all, DBC.  I use BackUp4All also, along with SFFS and FileHamster.  I love FileHamster for its ease and the fact that it just works so well - I will most likely purchase a Pro license shortly.
--- End quote ---

Do you know if there's a trial for the Pro version, Jim? It seems that only the free version can be downloaded. (I'll probably still try it anyway, still need to find a real-time-backup-on-change-with-versioning solution). -tranglos (December 06, 2007, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually they call it FileHamster +Plus.  Here's a link: http://www.mogware.com/filehamster/upgrade/  Maybe you only see this after installing the free version?  I'm not certain.  It has some added features, like better support of external drives & network shares. Plus they claim there will be no further development on the free version; all future development/features will only be available to Plus users.

My real reason would be to help ensure the future of the application by supporting the developers.  I like to do that for free apps if possible.  It helps to keep them around for all!

Of the remaining two, I would make the same choice that you did.  BackUp4All is excellent.  I'll leave it at that...
--- End quote ---

Backup4All is excellent, despite of all I've said about it here :) Having tested nearly all of the backup apps discused on DC, I'm staying with Backup4All. It even saved my a** recently when the manufacturer of my NAS device sent me a beta version of their firmware, which corrupted every file copied onto the device (added 1 byte in front of every file!), and Backup4All complained immediately when it noticed something dicey was happening to its catalog files. It does have a number of quirks, and it's not the optimal backup tool in the ideal Platonic sense, but I'm just about convinved it's the optimal backup tool available today.
-tranglos (December 06, 2007, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

What can I say?  I have had to write for help a few times already and I've gotten very quick and helpful replies from Adrian at BackUp4All.  Great product and service.  I recommend it to anyone.

Thanks!

Jim

Josh:
Tobias: Can you tell us what major features one can expect from the 4.x product line? I am currently evaluating SyncBackSE and am going to evaluate SFFS soon. What are the major advantages, from your perspective, of sffs over SBSE? Thanks!

DBC:

Jim
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Jim. I think this combo will get me to backup more regularly, which is what I really need to do. I was OK on imaging and crucial versioning. It was the vital daily b/us that I was neglecting, and I think Backup4All 's simplicity will encourage me to do this.

Derek

DBC:

Do you know if there's a trial for the Pro version, Jim? It seems that only the free version can be downloaded. (I'll probably still try it anyway, still need to find a real-time-backup-on-change-with-versioning solution).
-tranglos (December 06, 2007, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use Caddais and Filehamster pretty much interchangeably. My only reason for getting Caddais in the first place was for working with Word files. Nowadays, though, I do a lot of my drafting in NoteTab Pro which has a neat versioning backup system built into the program - one of a select few to do so.

N.B. It was your mention of Backup4All earlier in the thread that encouraged me to look at it again. Thanks for that :-)

Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version