ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SyncBackSE vs. SuperFlexible

<< < (10/16) > >>

nosh:
I've been following the sync tool threads with some interest since I realised my usual app SecondCopy does not copy file comments which I've started using extensively with Xplorer2.

Tried about 10 tools briefly and just three of them handle comments correctly: SyncBackSE, SuperFlexible and DirSync.
Two tools that impressed me but didn't handle comments were MirrorFolder (powerful but usable because of a splendid interface) and SyncToy (excellent choice for basic sync needs).

I'm trying to decide between these three, unfortunately none of them is just right - they all have something I like and dislike.

DirSync: A lightweight compared to the other two but a competent app nonetheless.
What I like: Familiar, user-friendly interface, lacks a bazillion unnecessary (for my requirements) options and is yet reasonably powerful and takes care of the major aspects.
What I dislike: No inbuilt log viewer, notepad is the default viewer  :-\
Very basic simulation preview unlike the other two.
Ugly tray icon (while it's syncing)

SuperFlexible: A mammoth in its category, a plethora of options which can kill the usability for the casual user.
What I like: It'll probably wake up at 6 AM sharp, do my laundry, prepare my breakfast & give my dog a bath if I configure it right.
What I dislike: I'd say something insightful at this point but my eyes are bleeding from wading through its interface! I'm surprised Oliver Stone didn't flash screenshots of this monstrosity during those crazy edits in Natural Born Killers.

SyncBackSE: A great balance between power and usability. Great deal of options that don't seem overwhelming.
What I like: Usable interface, I love the graphic representation of the differences.
What I dislike (nay, hate!): Does not have its own scheduler, relies on Windows Task Scheduler for running tasks at specific times - the only other way to automate is to run background tasks which is not true scheduling. I cannot pinpoint the reason but I've always hated Windows Task Scheduler, it's just been something vaguely unpleasant MS has thrust into my system that stays disabled, in the background and invisible. Maybe it's time to open my mind a little but I really feel an app should handle its scheduling without relying on 3rd party services that they have no control over.

P.O.A:
I have to admit, I don't think I could ever get comfortable with SuperFlexible's GUI, I can see myself getting over the learning curve and coming back to the app two months down the line and wondering once again about what x or y does. If I was in charge of the backups of an entire I.T department and needed to mess with a syncing app on a daily basis I _may_ have considered this app, even then it would be very easy to get one option wrong in its marshland of an interface.

So, I'm going to input all my backup profiles into Syncback and DirSync and do a speed comparison.

I'll also do a CPU benchmark during backup - if any of these chokes my system it's out!

Will offset that against the other major pros/cons and decide which one stays.

Edit:
DirSync it is! They both guzzle about 50% of the CPU (on normal priority), I'm pretty certain SyncBack uses a bit more. The time difference is huge though, I'm sure I haven't tweaked SyncBack right as it takes a lot longer. But when DirSync breezes through 7GB of data in that many seconds there's no point in looking elsewhere. Also, no making peace with Task Scheduler- big plus, people! :P

iphigenie:
I wonder...
the reason I use a 2 panel file manager is usually to copy/sync things

I suspect if I had a good sync/compare tool I might just use this, and then I would possibly be able to use a 1 panel file manager, because i would use it to manage files, not backup/copy/sync things

Although most sync tools I know are aimed solely at scheduled regular work, and are a bit clunky for the ad-hoc quick check. Thats why in spite of having synchredible and no hands backup, I still use a 2 panel manager for most jobs...

Any suggestions? is there a sync tool that can do simple ad-hoc as well as compex, scheduled stuff? Or do I just need to use a compare-diff-type tool? Or do i just stick with what I have and stop this silly software bulimia?

f0dder:
nosh: what do you mean, "doesn't handle comments"? What kind of comments? The stuff that's on file properties/summary pane, stored as alternate NTFS streams?

I know where you're coming from wrt. the windows task scheduler, I used to feel that way too... but I've come to the realization that it's idiotic that each app that wants to schedule actions have to use it's own scheduler - plain retarded. But since every app seems to do this, I don't have any experience with windows task scheduler, so I don't know if it works properly >_<

Btw., did you use MirrorFolder in "RAID mode" (ie., filter driver), or just used it for "regular" syncing?

nosh:
That's right, the 'Comments' that appear on the summary tab. I tried two tests, 1) A file with no comment at the destination is now commented at the source. 2) A file at the destination has a redundant comment which I've deleted from the source file.
It didn't handle either. I'd set it up for regular synching, I don't go in for realtime coz I do identical mirroring and work with the source files all the time. I wouldn't want mistakes getting replicated immediately.

BTW, I've noticed some files (jpg, for instance) get changed physically (the header gets written into) if I add a comment, and I'm not just talking about adding a comment through X2, I could do it in Explorer and get the same result. Also if I add a comment to a copy of a file and then delete that comment completely the file still isn't identical to its original non-commented self. Also some (compound) files (wav, avi) won't let me add comments at all. I don't know how much the 'alternate' part in ADS applies in practice and working with comments is iffy at best.

There are pros and cons for the scheduling thing - I'd much rather prefer an app that gives me command line parameters to work with and use in a scheduler of my choice than one that forces me to use the Windows scheduler, even if it's just to get the  command line params used. :)

f0dder:
Okay, not handling "Comments" mean that MirrorFolder doesn't handle ADS on non-"raid" sync... I just verified that they are handled as soon as the filter driver is involved, though.

Across the whole range of software, ADS handling is sporadic at best. Can't blame software devs for it, as you have to resort to mostly undocumented stuff to get at them.

I assume that when changing "comments" in xplorer^2, exactly the same is done as in normal explorer.exe, since x^2 uses the shell namespace and COM stuff, so it's not x^2's fault that jpegs themselves are modified, blame Microsoft or whoever wrote that explorer shell thingy :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version