ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for finance app

<< < (6/14) > >>

moerl:
Quicken, I'd say, is the best of the bunch... but they're all overwhelming. Well, except Moneydance and Acemoney. I prefer Acemoney over Moneydance, but I think they're both lacking, especially compared to something like Quicken.

I still have no idea whether Quicken offers educational discounts. Thanks mouser for that great idea. I don't know if they'd give the discount to us simply because it's a site asking for one. If we had a review of finance apps up it would be a different story...

I still have Quicken installed but haven't opened it in a while. It's intimidating.. I only have one account and just want to track my expenses effectively. It comes with so many features! I'll have to find some time to check it out again.

m_s:
Am playing with Money 2004 right now and, you know, I rather like it...  Nice interface, pretty straightforward for a complete money no-nothing like me.  A big pity, though, that it doesn't work with the Co-Operative Bank, Smile, or Egg.

I've really got to do something about my money - more about my attitude to money than my actualy money...  Just starting to re-train as a psychotherapist, and boy is money coming up as an issue!  Went out and bought an introductory book this afternoon - Alvin Hall, 'Money for Life'.  That could become another aspect of this thread: anybody know any good introductory books, that are accessible and plain-speaking and even - gosh! - fun?

m_s:
Hey, Carol: I found this list of supported institutions, and it now includes HSBC: http://money.msn.co.uk/MyMoney/MicrosoftMoney/online/fininst/default.asp

Carol Haynes:
Yes that's the way it used to work - you download your statement data from the HSBC web-based banking.

I may be wrong but as I understand in US banks actually interact with MS Money directly - if you look at the list there you can see that none of the UK banks do!

Pity really - 'cos one really excellent thing Money could do with is a way to automatically synchronise your accounts with various institutions.

m_s:
Oh, it's synchronising with Nationwide, I think.  I can certainly see all my data automatically...  Ah, but you mean being able to do things like change a standing order from within Money?  Yeah, that would be cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version