ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Do this First.

<< < (3/10) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Awesome- finally something I can use to keep track of stuff I need to do (and when it has to be done by) - the Windows Sidebar "Notes" gadget won't let you go past 10 notes, and I had about 20 things to do last week. I'll just use this side-by-side with my Notes when ToDoOrDie gets full.

Simple, effective, great little proggy! :Thmbsup:

JennyB:
Another build, v1.2 and this time the version number in the titlebar is correct. :-)

Ref: Saving - I think that auto save with every entry would be the safest and easiest thing if you can do it. I love processes that help protect me from my worst enemy ... ME!

--- End quote ---

Agreed; I made it so.

-Ralf Maximus (October 27, 2007, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

'Ray!  :D

Also...

- New optional "Due d" syntax where d is a numeric day, e.g. "Due 28".  If specified day is <= today it's interpreted as next month;

- New optional "Due d/m" syntax where d/m is the month/day desired, e.g. "12/31".

--- End quote ---

Double 'ray!  :D :D I can confirm that this also works using day-first settings. However, a month less than the current month is not yet interpreted as next year. That will be important shortly!

Thinking a bit more about alarms - I definitely don't want one te go off when a deadline passes, but this might be useful:

For n  is interpreted thus - When the file is launched, TDOD is hidden, and pops up at the end of n minutes. A running total of time spent on the task is displayed.

Two reasons: if there is something I've been avoiding I can maybe persuade myself to spent just ten minutes trying to get started.  OTOH, if I've been a very good girl, I can reward myself with a strictly limited amount of Googling.  :P

Ralf Maximus:
Another build, this one v1.3

- New optional "Due d" syntax where d is a numeric day, e.g. "Due 28".  If specified day is <= today it's interpreted as next month;

- New optional "Due d/m" syntax where d/m is the month/day desired, e.g. "12/31".

--- End quote ---

Double 'ray!  :D :D I can confirm that this also works using day-first settings. However, a month less than the current month is not yet interpreted as next year. That will be important shortly!
-JennyB (October 29, 2007, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did this.  Specifying a day and month selects the next occurence if the specified day+month is today or past.

However, the syntax is now "Due m/d" instead of Due d/m".  I changed it for consistency since some parts of the app were thinking day/month and others month/day.  If you'd prefer the European d/m syntax let me know and I'll swap it out.  Really no trouble!

Thinking a bit more about alarms - I definitely don't want one te go off when a deadline passes, but this might be useful:

For n  is interpreted thus - When the file is launched, TDOD is hidden, and pops up at the end of n minutes. A running total of time spent on the task is displayed.

--- End quote ---

I'll have to ponder the best way to do this.  I like the idea, and I like the "For n" syntax, but just gotta figure a way to fit it into the GUI without it looking crowded.  Maybe I'll implement a right-click context menu, where you can choose to "Open" or "Open for n minutes" or something.

You want an alarm to "bing" when the app restores itself at the timeout?

Is it conceivable you'd have more than one launched task counting down simultaneously?

UPDATE: Almost forgot!  Anyone with artistical skills want to make me a cool 32x32 icon for this wee beastie?  The one I'm using is so generic...

BigJim:
--- End quote ---
How about a blood curdling scream (as in "Time's up; you die!")?   :rip:

JennyB:
Another build, this one v1.3

However, the syntax is now "Due m/d" instead of Due d/m".  I changed it for consistency since some parts of the app were thinking day/month and others month/day.  If you'd prefer the European d/m syntax let me know and I'll swap it out.  Really no trouble!
-Ralf Maximus (October 29, 2007, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

European syntax please, it's what I normally use. I can see the logic of month-first for sorting,but that does not apply here.

I like the idea, and I like the "For n" syntax, but just gotta figure a way to fit it into the GUI without it looking crowded.  Maybe I'll implement a right-click context menu, where you can choose to "Open" or "Open for n minutes" or something.

Is it conceivable you'd have more than one launched task counting down simultaneously?

--- End quote ---

No need to bing (but you might put it in for Big Jim). I'll have my eyes on the screen, and I'll only be timing one task at a time. The idea is that I promise "Right, for the next n minutes I will do only this."  If TDOD pops up again and I'm doing something else, then I'll know I am cheating myself.

I was thinking a default period in the ini file (0 meaning don't count time), and put a For statement in the description of any entry that needs to vary.

And now to bed!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version