ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Freedom from Microsoft Day!

<< < (2/2)

zridling:
2007 has been a down year for software... for Vista. And believe me, I'm looking for something every day. Most things run on Vista, but they're no different than XP. By moving from XP, I could probably drop half the software on The Great Software List. For example, with Vista all the tweaking apps can be done manually for free with ease since there's not a lot of tweaking to do unlike XP. And nothing's been developed that specifically takes advantage of Vista's power yet. I won't shut it down, but it will expand to include more online apps (which I'm suspicious of unless they give me a local version) which are not platform-specific. The first thing to take advantage of this in a big way was the OASIS OpenDocument (ODF) format. By liberating software (formats, drivers) from a mono-platform dependency, it creates user choice, increases competition, and extends the life of the software itself. I haven't spent enough time with GNU/Linux software to know what's great. Few of my favorite apps are (text editors, newsreaders, file managers) even decent on GNU/Linux. Others seem better and faster, e.g., OpenOffice, Firefox, and Opera.

As mouser reminds us, every OS has its problems and limitations. It's just which ones you're willing to live with!

Edvard:
I'm with you Zaine, been MS-free for a while now, but what I wouldn't do for a Linux equivalent of xplorer^2...

I've been wondering though, why would MS release an OS that is so (for lack of better terms...) BAD?
From everything I read, reactions range from "it looks so perty, how come it's so annoying?" to "god-awful trainwreck of an OS".
Perhaps this is all a big conspiracy.  :o
Ideas?

Lashiec:
The reports about Vista are greatly exaggerated. Either is the best Microsoft OS ever devised (all people I know who runs it say this to me), or it's the worst piece of shit ever to come out from Redmond (99% of the people on the interwebs say this). This is weird... we have two explanations: the first group is smoking something, or the second group is overreacting to minor problems.

I suppose it's all about personal experience, luck and expertise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version