ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread

<< < (8/24) > >>

chok:
I cannot add an alias, because the 32-bit FARR cannot find the 64-bit cmd.exe.  When it looks at system32, it is actually seeing the sysWOW64 directory instead.

I can copy the 64-bit cmd.exe to another directory and FARR can find it and run it just fine.  But there are quite a few programs that are missing.  Defrag, dnscmd, mrt, msconfig, telnet, and tftp are a few that I have noticed.  Also, most of these have some language-specific files in %windir%\system32\en-US (on my machine), which have to be copied to a corresponding subdirectory of wherever the executable is.

There is also just a philosophical issue of running the 32-bit versions of everything instead of the new 64-bit versions.  Practically, though, it probably makes no difference.

It is much easier just to work around this issue by launching cmd with the Windows key.

I do think that sooner or later you will be wanting to start offering a 64-bit build.  It will probably be a long time before 32-bit support is phased out, but 16-bit programs stopped working with the first 64-bit Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458).

mouser:
Interesting.. That is a bit troublesome isn't it.. Let me think a little on this, and if anyone has any other ideas please post.

lordmuzer:
yes, i can confirm.
i type in FARR "C:\Windows\System32\regedit.exe", but instead "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regedit.exe"  will start.
my os is windows 7 x64

Microsoft say at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187(v=VS.85).aspx:

Applications can control the WOW64 file system redirector using the Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection, Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection, and Wow64RevertWow64FsRedirection functions. Disabling file system redirection affects all file operations performed by the calling thread, so it should be disabled only when necessary for a single CreateFile call and re-enabled again immediately after the function returns. Disabling file system redirection for longer periods can prevent 32-bit applications from loading system DLLs, causing the applications to fail.
--- End quote ---

and as temporary fix:

32-bit applications can access the native system directory by substituting %windir%\Sysnative for %windir%\System32. WOW64 recognizes Sysnative as a special alias used to indicate that the file system should not redirect the access. This mechanism is flexible and easy to use, therefore, it is the recommended mechanism to bypass file system redirection. Note that 64-bit applications cannot use the Sysnative alias as it is a virtual directory not a real one.
--- End quote ---

mouser:
great tips lordmuzer!  :Thmbsup:

chok:
I think lordmuzer should get a gold star on his chart for today!  Wow!  I just added %windir%\sysnative to my search folders and unchecked %windir%\system32 and I can launch all these neat 64-bit programs instead of the 32-bit versions.  I think this is just a good as a 64-bit FARR.  Thanks lordmuzer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version