ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Versioning of files

<< < (12/12)

tinjaw:
Simple - after you move the repository (which can either involve dump+load or moving the physical files), you simply update the DNS entry... if you hadn't done this, you'd need to change the repository URL for each of your projects.-f0dder (October 19, 2007, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, now I understand.

nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh?
-f0dder (October 19, 2007, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

My assumption was that this is what nosh was talking about.

f0dder:
Oh, didn't know there was a commercial product... at a glance it doesn't seem to offer stuff Ankh doesn't - I wonder if it might even be a blatant rip-off :)

wraith808:
I use KeepSafe by Stardock.  It's out of the way until you need it, and doesn't require check-ins/outs.

http://www.stardock.com/products/keepsafe/

For actual development projects, I use QVCS or StarTeam.

http://www.qumasoft.com/index1.html <- QVCS

I don't think the license I have for StarTeam is still available; they used to have a personal license that was free for X users (X being 1 or 5; I can't remember).

f0dder:
Wraith, in case you have used subversion or other free solutions, can you tell us what makes it better? :)

It seems to get the stuff subversion supports, you'd need the enterprise edition, which pops in at $49/user. svn is free, and has both commandline, IDE integration, internet (as well as local) support, etc.

nosh:
nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh? Friend of mine has had bad problems with it, and I've had some minor glitches myself - plus it slows down VS startup time humongously.
-f0dder (October 19, 2007, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

What Tinjaw said.
Ankh was next on my list to try but after I gave VSS a shot I really didn't feel like bothering. Glad I didn't. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version