ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thinking about a DonationCoder.com fundraising thing and a celebration..

<< < (7/11) > >>

brotherS:
@CarolHaynes: Nice! And what about

"DonationCoder.com - turning donations into software"

? :)

@mouser: :o

Mark0:
About Fund rising...

I too can say only good things about GoogleAds. It's super easy to manage, and quite effective. I often try different ads positioning, colors, etc., but basically it just works.
In a forum, I think the best would be a small banner after the first reply; it doesn't distract too much, and often the Ads, being contextual selected, provide some interesting (not annoying) links.

As a side note, today I saw this site:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/

You can upload some artwork / logo, and easily create a virtual-shop with branded things. So, in addition to donations, maybe it would be possible to offer some funny t-shirt, mugs, etc. with the DonationCoder.com logo (when it's ready), or personalize them with the icons/logo of some of the programs/tools, etc.
Could be interesting?

Bye!

mouser:
we migh look into trying google ads one day, but only if we could make it so members never saw them at all.

cafepress has some really great stuff, and a huge variety.
but the real problem is that the base price is so large.
if most of the donators to this site donate from $5 to $20 dollars and $10-15 from every tshirt goes to cafrepress, there is none left for us :(  so maybe we need to make our own iron on designs and make the tshirts ourselves :)

momonan:
The beauty of cafepress is that you give them the design and the price you want to charge for an item.  Then members of DCC can buy it, knowing that a portion of the price will be returned to DCC.  For example, a small magnet is listed at $2.49.  If it were listed at $4, DCC would be sent the difference.  Since the basic service is free, there would be no DCC outlay of funds, and it could be a source of additional revenue.  The downside is that only those people who made a purchase would have something with the DCC logo on it.

If you just want to provide a DCC iron-on logo to every DCC member, you might try something like this:  http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1058803&jumpid=ex_r2910_dealtimesmb/accessories.  I estimate that you could print and ship these iron-on logos for approximately $1.75 each (purchase, printing, envelope & postage).  The question is: do you want to send one to every donator?  If so, that would be a gift, not a fund raiser (although, if worn, might generate some interest).  Or do you want to ask a donator to contribute an additional $2.00 (or $3.00), if he/she would like a iron-on logo?  The problem with the latter approach is that you may get only a few takers, and then lose the community and free publicity angle.

Personally, I like the lottery idea, with one of the donated programs as a prize.  Or, since many of the members already have these programs, what about having DCC buy the winner (who already has one of the programs that have been donated) any program of his/her choice up to a maximum monetary amount?  You'd have to chose that amount carefully, though, in case no one participates in the lottery. :(

rjbull:
How about an image (don't ask me to draw it) of a machine with a handle (could be like a meat mincer) - coins in one end, software out of the other ?
-CarolHaynes (October 03, 2005, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Weird Al Walker used to use an inverse of that, bits in, tools and product out
http://webappwarehouse.com/weirdal/utils.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version