ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020

<< < (99/146) > >>

mouser:
New beta release posted.

mouser:
Thanks to Josh for all his help testing, and for encouraging me to add some of the features.

Josh:
YEAY! We are officially in beta for this release! Glad to see it. There are some nice features here that mouser has put in.

For those of you unfamiliar, you can now use environment variables to reference specific paths in the Windows environment. I personally define one as %google% which points to %userprofile\google drive (c:\users\username\google drive). This can help save a lot of typing. It was this feature that helped identify the lag caused by the custom folder icons (google drive, root of a drive, etc).

Additionally, the shellexec and updated "noresults alias" is a great feature. This helps design FARR to operate more like the run dialog in all versions of Windows. What I mean is this.

Normally, in FARR, you know the name of the program you want and type in an entry from the start menu and FARR finds it as it scans. Let's say, however, you want to directly launch an MMC applet (Disk management, event viewer, etc). Currently, farr does not index control panel applets and requires the use of specially crafted shortcuts. This presents a problem in that these shortcuts have to be created as new control panel applets are identified. My solution to this is to use the run dialog and type devmgmt.msc and launch the file directly since it is in the system path. FARR did not provide this capability. Additionally, some pages I launch by manually executing internet explorer (certain work sites and other sites that present problems in alternative browsers or activex enabled sites). For this, I always manually execute internet explorer and pass it the argument (iexplore www.google.com).

This new "no result" capability allows FARR to more closely mimic the run dialog functionality so that you can launch files directly if you know the name and it is in the system path, but not in a FARR search folder path (say, %windir%, which I don't think many would want scanned by FARR).

I did identify a way for mouser to poll a list of control panel applets in Windows Vista+ (Vista, 7, 8) using the registry since Microsoft has stopped using .cpl files for most functions. Hopefully this makes its way into a future FARR release so we can populate control panel applets and further enhance FARR.

I must say that mouser has done an exuberant amount of work on this release and I think it has progressed very nicely!

Mouser, I tip my hat to you!

Judykator:
Please do something about this problem:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=30924.0

mouser:
Try now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version