ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Latest FARR Release 2.250.0 beta - Mar 23, 2020

<< < (10/146) > >>

mouser:
currently the only way to exclude extensions is to give them high negative scores as mentioned; i have been thinking though that in the search directory list it might be nice to be able to specify for each directory which file extensions to include or exclude.

Armando:
Kailef : welcome to the wonderful world of farr.  :Thmbsup:

Third, and this is just a question on mechanics - Does FARR create an index like Launchy and Key Launch.  (Key Launch can be found here: http://www.konradp.com/products/keylaunch/?underline_app=keylaunch but it's definitely not as good as FARR)
-Kailef (December 16, 2007, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) There's the locate plugin, as jgpaiva pointed out. (and to use the plugin efficiently, you could assign a special hotkey to the plugin.)

2) You could also almost "simulate" an index by making  the "max. files to keep in launch history" value pretty high (in the "Interface" section of the "options" window) -- mine is now set at 990. But it's an index that's being created as you use farr, so to speak... It will remember all the files you searched or the programs you launched.

If you want to use the locate32 plugin, read there for a short explanation/tutorial :
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=11374.msg91582#msg91582

Edit : created another thread and moved the "tutorial" there: farr: users' tips and tricks (fun aliases, plug-in configuration, general usage)

Kailef:
Thanks for the tip.

I'm not as worried about having an index, mind you, as I was with just finding out of FARR used one or not.  I sort of like that it doesn't use one, because I know I'm always dealing with live data.  Don't need to worry about refreshing the index if I install a new program or whatnot.

Bottom line is: I don't really FARR to index, as I use it for, well, running stuff.  *chuckle*  I really only point it at my desktop, my start menu, and one other folder that I keep some odds and ends in.  I use Windows Desktop Search if I actually want to find a document of some sort, since it indexes and searches the contents of files.  In my book, they are two entirely different concepts.  One is an in depth search, and one is a "get my app started as fast as possible without any fuss" program.

Armando:
I too like the fact that farr doesn't rely on an index.

you might eventually find that farr can be pretty nice to quickly open documents, templates, url, browse directories, copy paths, send emails, paste clips, create new tasks or calendar events, search the web, uninstall programs, etc.

My use of Desktop search programs is mostly for content... Or "serious research". I use Archivarius and X1.

nitrix-ud:
currently the only way to exclude extensions is to give them high negative scores as mentioned; i have been thinking though that in the search directory list it might be nice to be able to specify for each directory which file extensions to include or exclude.
--- End quote ---

that would be great...
it is one of the very few things i prefer in launchy over FARR

since it helps reducing the number of wrongly searched items

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version