ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Multibooting and Partitioning Experiments

<< < (3/10) > >>

wolf.b:
Thank you Carol Haynes!

This non standard way was somewhat of an religious experience for me (YES, I can see the light !!!), and is not my own idea. I got it from here: The REAL Multi-boot -Trombettworks. When I came across it first time in 1999, Ranish Partition Manager (RPM) did not support 32 primary partitions (version 2.38), like some of the older versions did (don't know which one). Mikhail Ranish does not support RPM any more, but others have taken over the project, and reactivated support for 32 primary partitions (most recent version is 2.44).

Interesting because I'm sure Win98SE actually said it need to install below the 8Gb boundary. I am pretty sure it said it needed to install in a primary partition too.
--- End quote ---
I am sure it does say so somewhere, but I have not come across it.
Makes me think of a story from my childhood. There was a mama goat and seven child goats. In the house was a grandfather clock (a tall thing with a pendulum in a case and the clock on top). The children were allowed to play anywhere around the house, but they must never go inside the pendulum case of the clock, as that would ruin the clock. Only one of her kids was naughty and was not listening and went inside anyways. One day when mama goat went shopping, a wolf came round to pay a visit. Six of the children where hiding behind the sofa, and some other similar clever places, and got eaten. The naughty child was hiding inside the clock, and survived. (Sorry this is VERY bad English, and I ruined the story merely by telling it).

An other thing that comes to mind is that Win95 without FAT32 support, and Win3.x, could have the 8 GB limitation. But they both run from logical drives without hassle over here. Even DOS can be setup to install on a logical drive (version 6.22).

Greetings
Wolf (no pun intended, I'm a humor-free German)

P.S.: As I always said in self defence: We DO have a sense of humor, only our jokes aren't funny.

Carol Haynes:
LOL ... now stop apologising for being German ... I'm sure you can tell funny jokes - you just did!

wolf.b:
Hi Tom

only today I found, that you have started a thread on multibooting already!
Looks like there is a lot left to learn for me about how to use search properly!

[OT] And thanks for your hello on introductory thread. I answer here for the sake of getting the link above in the right place.  :D

Greetings
Wolf

tomos:
only today I found, that you have started a thread on multibooting already!-wolf.b (October 26, 2007, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd actually forgotten that :-[ mainly cause I didnt follow up on it at the time

wolf.b:
Hi Tom,

have you got any experience using GNU GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) or GRUB4DOS? Or anybody else?

GRUB: I have not even been able to get this stage1 and stage2 thing into such a shape to create a boot floppy or an image of that.

GRUB4DOS is at the moment an entry in my boot.ini which is able to go back to ntldr menu, when selected. There is a lot to read before I get the hang of it. But it looks promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version